CPU switches off during high performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisIVX

Hi,
When I run an intensive game such as company of heroes or even tomb raider anniversary, the PC switches off without warning. I believe it's the power supply cutting itself off.
I've had the problem and solved it temporarily before by replacing the CPU fan, but since this is the third time I'd have to guess the fan is not the main cause of what's going on. It's my understanding the CPU gets too hot or draws too much current and the power supply cuts it off. In fact I've destroyed two power supplies just by not replacing the fan since they wouldn't switch back on.
I have a surge protector.
System requirements at top right.

thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Chris

Let's see. The stuff I have is Arctic Cooling Silicone Paste. Would you happen to know if that's just as good?

It's probably good enough. Can you try opening up a game and a temperature monitoring utility and then after playing for a little Alt-Tab back to the temp monitor and quickly note your CPU and GFX card temps.

Ok, results in. I haven't looked at the heat sink yet, or the glue stuff, but my god - I got ATI Tool to watch the graphics card temperature and it hit 104.4 Celcius! (That's with the fan on full.) Now, I'm pretty sure that's got to be bad. The funny thing is this problem has existed with two separate cards. Any ideas?

Edit: gpu temperature was initially 52 degrees C, Cpu went from 50 C to 58 C. But if it was the graphics card, then why should replacing the CPU fan have solved the problem for a few months each time, as it did?

I haven't actually played with a gfx card like that before, but would like to give it a go if it'll probably help. Would I need soldering irons or anything like that? And is there usually a right way and a wrong way to do it?

soldering iron..... hehehehe! You might simply try reinstalling the original heatsink and fan first. It's probably on all cattywampus. You will need a small phillips screwdriver, rubbing alcohol, lint free cloth (I.E. paper towel for those of us on a budget), thermal paste and a little determination.

First you carefully remove the heatsink from the card by removing some of the screws on the back of the card. Second you lift the heatsink off the card and clean it and the GPU with rubbing alcohol. Third you reapply a small amount of thermal paste to the GPU and reseat the heatsink. Make sure you tighten the screws a little bit at a time and that the heatsink is flat on the GPU. Don't over tighten the screws or they may strip or break your video card.

With that said, the Zalman is an excellent heatsink and fan combo and should allow you to play games with very little noise compared to the original heatsink and fan and without sudden computer crashes.

Thank you very much for that, Cinders. I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise! I've ordered the heat sink and it is somewhere in the post. However, the current fan is (and the card was given credit for by reviewers because of this) very quiet. I still hope that was the problem though.
thanks again, will let you know

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back