CPU temp @ 75* C

By rocky
Mar 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all.
    I have two temperature sensor programs: Sandra and MBM5.

Sandra gives me temperature readings of:
    board temp. : 28C
    CPU temp. : 19C

MBM gives me:
    board temp.: 28C
    CPU temp. : 72C

When I run MBM first then Sandra "together", suddenly Sandra starts giving me values similar to MBM. But if I run Sandra alone before running MBM, it gives me the low nice values up there.

I realized something was wrong with the sensors so I restarted, checked temperature from BIOS and this what it gave me:
    system temp. : 32C
    CPU temp. : 33C
    FAN: 2600RPM
    System fan: 0RPM

Temperature from BIOS conflicted with the sensor programs. However I noticed that "the system fan" isnt working. Now I'm not sure what the "system fan" is since I didnt even know I had one. All I know is the heatsink and the fan on top of it is working and another fan at the back of my pc case is also working. SO how can it be '0 RPM'?

Also what can I do to Sandra and MBM? Why would MBM give false values? Is it possible that both programs conflicted or is it possible that a virus might be causing my CPU to "think" that its temperature is high even though it's not? Because I touch my heatsink and its relatively cool, somewhere in the 20's for sure.

Please note that I cleaned my heat sink and my fan yesterday and let it cool down for the night and as soon as I installed it this morning and turned on my pc it gave me the "70'C" which is impossible seeing that I just turned on the system and nothing was even done yet.

Please help, I'd appreciate it.

UPDATE: I set an alarm in my BIOD for CPU temperature at 60C, saved and exited. Loaded Windows just fine and no alarm was sounding. I opened MBM and the alarm went on, just as I opened the program... Any clues?
  2. speedy266

speedy266 Newcomer, in training Posts: 33

Uninstall those two programs and install SpeedFan i find this program to give accurate readings all the time. Your BIOS readings are the true readings, your cpu doesnt seem to be overheated at all. If it was that hot ud for sure be able to feel the HOT Heatsink of the cpu. A system fan is a case fan basically and on ur motherboard you have another 3 pin connector fan like one for ur cpu. Basically if you want to upgrade and get a case fan, u can plug it to your motherboard and get a RPM readout is what those 3 pin fans are for. Since you dont have one it reads 0rpm. The fan at the back of the case is ur Power Supply fan and usually dont have a 3 pin connector to get a RPM for Power Supply fans. There speed is not varied at all, spin the same all the time. Your CPU fan speed will spin faster if the cpu and case temps rise higher together.
  3. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I would expect that you would get false readings if you run these two programs at the same time as there will probably be a conflict. As speedy said, I would go with the bios reading. Motherboard Monitor or Speedfan will show 0 RPM's if there is no sensor to read, I have that same indication on my computer.

Don't try to run both programs at the same time.
  4. rocky

rocky Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank you very much for your kind replies :)

Problem solved. MBM gave false readings. It could have been a conflict, but speedfan gives accurate readings.
  5. Ph30nIX

Ph30nIX Newcomer, in training Posts: 359

i agree that speedfan is quite accurate,

POST ABOUT COOLING FANS

After installing my TWO DOGDYT **** fans, monitoring with speed fan revealed that it was 8*C lower when idle.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.