CPU temp. of over 100C

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago I built my own PC. Everything surprisingly went well until yesterday. My processor (2.80Ghz Pentium 4 775) was running a tad hot at about 60C in the BIOS but i thought nothing more of it as my computer was running fine. Then yesterday it started to cut out before the boot up had even completed. I tried a couple of times but it would not get past the boot stage. I looked on the PC health in BIOS and it was reading about 110 degrees celcius before it would finally cut out! I did buy a relatively cheap cooling fan i must admit (Thermaltake TR2-M20 SE)

But i should still not be getting that amount of heat especially as it was working before. And of course i have checked that it is spinning correctly and is in contact with the gel.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.80Ghz 775
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 motherboard
1GB Corsair 800mhz memory
BFG 8800GTS 320mb Graphics card
Thermaltake TR2 470W PSU

If the fan is spinning and you are getting that hot, then there are 2 possibilities I can think of. Thermal sensor failure (unlikely) or the heatsink has stopped making good contact with the processor (more likely). I'd remove your heatsink/fan clean off the thermal paste with alcohol, then reapply a thin layer of paste and reattach the heatsink/fan to the processor. That should fix you right up.

1). Turn your computer off and leave it off (motherboard light should be off, it should be unplugged and everything cooled down).

2). Take off the heatsink/fan. Unclip your processor. Now you need to clean off the thermal paste with alchahol and a LINT FREE cloth (for glasses and binoculars... etc.)
Need help taking off heatsink/fan + CPU? just ask :p

3). Buy some Artic Silver 5. It's about £5 inc. delivery, i got some from ebay. It lasts for AGES. I would go for retail:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arctic-Silver...ryZ46322QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arctic-Silver...ryZ46322QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4). Keep your computer off until it comes. Yes, you MUST! You now need to put some CPU paste on your processor. Install instructions:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_singlecore_wcap.pdf

5). Before you put it back on, make sure you don't use too much. I got funny lines across the screen - if you do, turn your computer off IMMEDIATELY.

6). Put the CPU back in and re-install the heatsink.

7). Turn on your PC. A message will come up about a new processor. Access the BIOS (not just to say about new processor).

8). Find Q-FAN control and enable it, or search your motherboard and then find out what the BIOS controlls are for the fan.

9). If it continues, then you are overloading it for the fan you have used. Meaning you are probably using CPU-heavy applications. For this, you will need a better fan;
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=277&code=009

Hope this helps.

I'm concerned about your steps 5-7. Why are you turning on a PC without a CPU? or without a heatsink? either way what is the reasoning behind that.

why remove the cpu??
if you can ge tin there leave it in
how dirty is this machine
do you have other fans check them
100c wow wonder if it will still post
always buy copper for anything above 2ghz

check all of your temp because some times your airflow can be blocked off some how and not letting the heat flow out, everything else u already got idk wat else to tell you bro

It sounds like you have a very crowded case.Is it a Mini Tower ?
A 4 bay Midi case,the newer round IDE cables and Sata cables will give more room for air circulation.Add a 3 inch exhaust fan to the rear of case.
See if your Power Supply fan is expelling heat.Hold a small piece of kleenex
to check if air flow is outward.

Reseat the heat sink and fan, do as has been siad previously and clean off the thermal paste. Arctic silver is the best compound I have used and is easy to get hold of. One thing I have noticed when using after market heatsinks and coolers with the socket 775 is that I have often had to apply much more thermal paste than I have had to with other cpu's. I assume this is a contact issue between the heatsink and the cpu. Socket 775 Pentium D's ran very hot but 110 degrees is way out there.

I think you have to be careful about the in BIOS reading, it isn't as dead on as you'd expect in a lot of cases. The only temp monitor I trust at all is the Intel TAT one for intel processors.

BIOS shouldn't even read temp, i never checked it and i probably never will, get a radar gun that reads temp if you want to know that, trust me its not worth the money, if u are concerned then try a new case, thats all i can say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back