CPU threshold cooling level

By gilloz
Feb 9, 2008
  1. At what size CPU would the absolute threshold level be with regards to air cool and water cool in reference to an Intel CPU? I am contemplating on building my computer, but leery of using water cool and was wondering how high I can go with the CPU speed before switching to water cooling.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I thought it was in relation to temperature level, not so much CPU level

Actually if anyone has a good chart on Temperature (normal) levels, (on different CPUs) please post.
  3. porsche911r

porsche911r TS Rookie Posts: 37

Well if u r going to overclock the new intel cpus then i think u can do alot as long as u get a good cpu fan cooler i mean people are getting a 2.4ghz to 3.2+ easily on stock cooler so i think water cooling maybe a cool thing but always risky with water as you know.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

with water cooling you could get ~300-500 Mhz more than air cooling. I've been running water for 7 years on my main system. I've wondered what I could do with some of the new air coolers. I'd like to see how well I could do with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.
  5. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

There are some excellent cooling fans out now. I''m running a Zalman 92mm fan with heatsink on my quad core. It keeps me in the high 40's and low 50's. It is really for dual core apps. A quad core fan would be more like a 120 mm. I would say to look at the newest cpu coolers with lots of fins and a 120 fan. Also Tuniq.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.