CPU upgrade question

Hello, I was recently given a Dell Dimension 2400 from a friend. It had absolutely no upgrades, however I had old parts sitting around and I gave it a bit of an upgrade. I put in 4gb of ram (however found out it had only supported up to 2gb, so I had to remove a card) and added a Visiontek Radeon 9200 graphics card in. Now, I have two processors here that look like the might fit, but I wasn't sure. So, I was hoping to get a second opinion from someone who has a bit more experience with this than I do. I have two spare processors

one of them is a Pentium 4 3.00Ghz (http://ark.intel.com/products/27479...g-HT-Technology-2M-Cache-3_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

the other is a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz (http://ark.intel.com/products/27424/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-1_60-GHz-256K-Cache-400-MHz-FSB)

Would either of them work? Also, would upgrading to windows 7/vista increase the support for ram? Thank you.

Socket details:
  • Pentium 4 3.00Ghz is LGA775
  • Pentium 4 1.6Ghz is PPGA478
That is two different architectures.

Specs for Dell Dimension 2400
Intel Pentium 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz
internally and 400 MHz externally, or 2.266, 2.4,
2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz
externally.

Intel Celeron that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5,
2.6, or 2.7 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.
Please note this would be PPGA478 architecture not LGA775.

What CPU is currently in the computer?

Socket details:
  • Pentium 4 3.00Ghz is LGA775
  • Pentium 4 1.6Ghz is PPGA478
That is two different architectures.

Specs for Dell Dimension 2400

Please note this would be PPGA478 architecture not the LGA775.

What CPU is currently in the computer?

I believe the default cpu is in the pc at the moment. I didn't want to risk putting in any of those cpu's in case it would ruin the computer. Thank you so much for your quick and detailed response!

Moderator note: Tprior87, FYI, when responding to the last post in the thread, it isn't necessary to quote the whole thing. Sometimes if the post is long and you are responding to a certain portion of it, you may quote the relevant portion. One consequence is if the quoted text contains a link (as in this case), our forum software moderates new member's posts (holds it invisible) automatically until a moderator or administrator comes along to review it and make it visible. It's an anti-spam measure. From your perspective that only serves to delay your post and any subsequent answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back