CPU upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for my question if it is lame :( , but I'm a noob when it comes to hardware stuff (i'm a software guy myself).

I want to upgrade my CPU from the 1000Mhz Intel Celeron with 810 chipset that is to something newer (like better than Celeron). I have a Intel Corporation Whitney System CR Board on this pc and I don't understand how you know what CPUs are upgrade compatible with your motherboard. Can anyone tell me what CPUs I'm limited to in upgrading or where I can find this information. I looked it up a bit on the intel site but couldn't find quite what I was looking for, figured I'd be better off just asking somewhere. Thanks for any help guys/gals. :)

- Its not a lame question :)

I don't know exactly, but I don't think that you'll be able to upgrade to get much more performance just be upgrading the CPU.

Although its the most expensive option, new CPU /mem/ mobo will probably be the only option that will give you a significant performance boost.

If you want a reasonably priced option, I would recommmed something vaguely along the lines of:

AMD XP 2500+/2400+
Abit NF7 - nForce2 - USB2+A133+Dual DDR400+AGP8x
512mb DDR

More experienced members may alter that slightly, but that's about right I think.

That should give you a serious performance boost for about £200 / $320

If you are looking for a cheapshot upgrade that will give you a huge performance boost, I suggest going with a lower end mobo. I highly highly reccomend the ECS K75SA. It supports up to AXP 2600+, the PRO version supports 166mhz CPU FSB, and that will definately last you a good while. At $49-59, it's a steal, and is still available.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester
If you are looking for a cheapshot upgrade that will give you a huge performance boost, I suggest going with a lower end mobo. I highly highly reccomend the ECS K75SA. It supports up to AXP 2600+, the PRO version supports 166mhz CPU FSB, and that will definately last you a good while. At $49-59, it's a steal, and is still available.

Agreed, it is easier to save money on a motherboard, than it is on a chip, and the ECS K75SA Pro has almost all of the features of the Nforce 2 other than Dual DDR and Dolby encoding.

That and the fact the K75SA Pro is Purple if I recall :D

Yes, it is ;)

I picked up mine just a few weeks ago and plopped an AXP 2000+ in it with 512mb PC2100... for less then $100 (rest I already had), this thing absolutely screams.

One more thing...try to avoid boards with VIA chipsets they can cause alot of problems ldue to software/ hardware compatibility reasons. I don't really like the drivers they produce.

In defense of VIA, I've always been a VIA chipset user, and I never had a problem!

Anyway, in regards to the question A mobo/mem/cpu upgrade does appear to be in order. With the prices of these things dropping like flies, you can get some nice stuff for almost nothing!

You said you weren't a hardware guy though, so a couple of other things to keep in mind:

1) changing the CPU may require more adequate cooling. I'd look into another heatsink fan combo to go with a new CPU, or just buy a retail package

2) if you don't know how to swap out a mobo, be really careful with what you do, perhaps a friend or co-worker may know how to do it safely so that you don't risk frying any of the components (I know I did my first system I built)

3) the FSB supported on the motherboard is going to make a bigger difference in actual speed in real world application processing then a faster Mhz or Ghz is going to.

I.E. a 900 mhz Athlon on 200 mhz FSB is going to perform faster than a 1 GHZ on a 133 mhz FSB.

Hope this helps you

If you want to upgrade only your CPU, then the fastest is probably P3 1100 MHz. If you want to spend more (more than what a new mobo & CPU would cost), you could upgrade with Powerleap's Tualatin adapter to P3-1400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back