CPU Upgrade

Alrighty, so I've been wanting to upgrade my CPU lately. I've been looking at the AMD FX-8350 but that runs at about $170. I've also been looking at the FX-6300 which is about $70 cheaper. I mainly use my computer for gaming, rarely do I render videos, or use photoshop. So basically what I'm wanting is a good cpu that will give me higher fps, performance, faster loading, blah blah. Is the 8350 really worth the extra 70 bucks for current games? I've read a few reviews and comparisons on people saying current games don't even use the 8 cores the 8350 provides. So would it be a better decision to go with the 6300? With my current motherboard I know I would have to upgrade it as well to be able to run the 8350. If they're any other cpu's below $170 that you guys think would be a better buy then let me know!

Here are my specs:

I'm running a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD FX-4130

GRAPHICS
AMD RADEON HD 7950

MOTHERBOARD
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz

STORAGE
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-00ERMA0 ATA Device (SATA)

Hopefully that's everything you need to give me a good idea. I'd rather not spend the money on a new motherboard, but if it's worth it, I will.

Also, if you guys have any suggestions on other upgrades, like my ram or hd, let me know!

Thank you.

Looking at your specs and checking the manufactures website, your motherboard can handle the AMD FX-8350 (Depending on which Revision number you have). You will most likely just have to do a BIOS update (which is not hard - just follow the instructions from the website). I personally have an AMD FX-6300 for my Gaming PC and I have no problems with it, but would switch to the FX-8350 if I had the opportunity.
If you are worrying about the $70 difference, then I would avoid thinking about changing over to Intel. You will have to buy a new motherboard and a new processor, and those together will be more than the $170 you would spend on the FX-8350.
My suggestion would be to buy the FX-8350 and then start saving for your next build (which could be an Intel based system if you are looking for future proofing). You go from the FX-4130 to the FX-8350, and you will notice a significant increase in performance. You should be able to get a couple years out of the FX-8350 before having to "upgrade" and by that time you should be able to have enough saved up for the Intel system. If you really cant swing the $70, then pick up the FX-6300. You will still see an increase in performance (just not as large of one if you went the FX-8350). Also, If you do pick up the FX-6300, I would suggest picking up an aftermarket cooler (I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus) for around $30. You can overclock the FX-6300 a good amount which will increase the performance also. I have mine overclocked to 4.3Ghz as stable, but have had it up to 4.65Ghz. The FX-8350 is also a strong contender for overclocking.

Back