CPU usage constantly 100%

Hi everyone.
Just to let you know, I know hardly anything about computers but desperately need help.

All programs on my laptop have been responding badly or not at all for quite a while. Today I wanted to see if there is anything I can do about it.
I noticed that the CPU usage is up to a 100 % almost constantly. First I used QuickClean, then I ran a full virus scan... nothing detected. Next I googled about this problem and found information about performing a system file check which I did... again nothing detected. Next I have done a disc scan ... and again nothing detected.

When I check under processes in the task manager I cannot see anything suspicious but as I said before I am not that familiar with computers.

Is there anyone who knows what I could do to find the problem??? I am using Windows 7 by the way. I urgently need my laptop to run effeciently to use it for work. And before anyone suggest to resrote it to an earlier backup... I can't because it has been going on for a long time (and I wouldn't know how long back to go and probably loose a lot of files). Also completely rebooting it, isn't an option because when I bought it new it came with windows 7 and Microsoft Office pre-installed and I haven't got any recovery cd's.

If anyone can help that would be fantastic (please don't forget to not use technical language but for normal pc users like me ;-)) Thank you very much

Hi everyone.
Just to let you know, I know hardly anything about computers but desperately need help.

All programs on my laptop have been responding badly or not at all for quite a while. Today I wanted to see if there is anything I can do about it.
I noticed that the CPU usage is up to a 100 % almost constantly. First I used QuickClean, then I ran a full virus scan... nothing detected. Next I googled about this problem and found information about performing a system file check which I did... again nothing detected. Next I have done a disc scan ... and again nothing detected.

When I check under processes in the task manager I cannot see anything suspicious but as I said before I am not that familiar with computers.

Is there anyone who knows what I could do to find the problem??? I am using Windows 7 by the way. I urgently need my laptop to run effeciently to use it for work. And before anyone suggest to resrote it to an earlier backup... I can't because it has been going on for a long time (and I wouldn't know how long back to go and probably loose a lot of files). Also completely rebooting it, isn't an option because when I bought it new it came with windows 7 and Microsoft Office pre-installed and I haven't got any recovery cd's.

If anyone can help that would be fantastic (please don't forget to not use technical language but for normal pc users like me ;-)) Thank you very much
Open up task manager and click the processes area, then click the spot that reads CPU and take a screenshot so we can see what is running your system up.

Oh sorry I didn't know that
McAfee is eating up your CPU running in the background it looks like. It is probably doing a virus scan or something. Check by clicking bottom right Mcafee icon in the tray (Bottom right of screen), it should tell you what its doing at the time.

I had a look it's not running a scan at the moment... would surprise me anywaty because I have done one ealrlier. But my CPU usage has been like this for months now... how can that be?

I have just had another look and from what I can see it's firefox and systemidle (whatever that is). what can I do to stop this?
And another question is it normal that the cpu goes down to about 30% and then back up to 100% about every two seconds?

Attachments

• CPU2.PNG
    CPU2.PNG
    67.4 KB · Views: 9
I had a look it's not running a scan at the moment... would surprise me anywaty because I have done one ealrlier. But my CPU usage has been like this for months now... how can that be?
Based on just looking at the task manager, I would still put my money on McAfee eating up your system. I have seen that be an issue many times with machiens where an antivirus program for some reason or another decides to engulf the computer consistently.

My suggestion is to try force closing Mcafee and see what happens from there on the system. If it reduces down to an average 20% or lower while idling you should be fine, otherwise there is another issue.

Hi there. what our friends here had pointed out is true. mcaffe constantly uses a lot of cpu, at least for you, even is doesnt seem to be doign anything at all.

I would suggest you, before you do anything else, uninstall mcafee, and installing a different security solution. I would go for kaspersky, as it's pretty undemanding, or avira if you want a freebie. Firefox seems to have its footprint on your cpu usage too. if you had it open at the moment, then it's "normal", otherwhise, keep an eye on it and if it's just too demanding, then uninstall it and use chrome (but I don't think you need to do so). Also make sure at least your browser is always updated, as that often fix performance issues.

finally, you say you can't completelly reinstall your PC because you don't have a recovery cd, however, if your laptop is a regular, trademark purchase (say, an original lenovo, dell, acer, etc) its very likely to have a recovery partition instead and you can find an option that pretty much says "click for factory restore".

look for it, it's often on the windows menu, inside a folder that you probably never opened and says something like "Acer tools" or "Lenovo backup and restore"

give a haul if you need help with that

Back