TechSpot

CPU usage problems

By Scintir
May 7, 2006
  1. Ok, well i just installed a new mobo and a new cpu in my comp. I have a AMD athlon 64 3700 + 1 mb cache, 1600 mhz FSB 754 socket and 2.4 GHZ. I have a ABIT nf8-v pro 754 socket of course. It has a Nvidia chipset. I am also using 1 GB of ram pc 3200. My graphics card is a nvidia fx 5200 256mb AGP 4x/8x. I have a soundblaster soundcard (which souldn't matter except that i cannot use all my speakers on anything except half-life 2 which sux =[ unless im playing half-life 2 then it ROCKS!) A dvd-rw, CD-rw.I also have a western digital HD with 120 GBs, 8 mb buffer and about 7200 RPM or something like that. Like 6 total cooling fans (3 case, 2 power supply, 1 cpu) Power supply is about 400 watts. Im running windows xp profesional SP 2 (standard 32 bit version). Well...that is my comp specs, if i am missing anything that may be needed for a diagnostic later on for the question im about to ask just tell me. Also my facts may be a little off (just a tiny bit) because i kinda stoped working on my comp for over a month cause i was kinda depressed to know that i changed from a amd sempron 2800 plus (socket A) processor to this and this isn't even as good, with my old one i could do everything! =[. Ok...finnaly on to the question

I have just changed my motherboard and cpu like said about. And now since the change my computer cannot play games. My computer runs after a while of screwing with windows and finnaly getting it to work. So now when i go into games the CPU goes to 100% usage and stays there. The only game i actually tried was age of empires 3. It went to the main menu and i noticed that the mouse scroll was going extreamly slow, and the people were actually teleporting...So i decided to look at the usuage and it was at 100%. So after that i just thought...omg nooo ....after all this....all this money, this love. And for my baby to actually just...fall short...Its like having a baby and find out that it has cerebal palsy....it just tore me up =[. (you may say that is a bit extream and it is but This is the first gaming computer i actually touched let alone made. I know this is a lot to read but when i start typing it just keeps coming. If you can help me i would appreciated it (and no i cannot send the processor back cause it has been way past 30 days. I have another 754 socket but it is a 2800 sempron that i was gonna use for testing and emergencys.

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

there are many instances of viruses and malware that can cause this, i'd run those scans using AVG free and ewido anti-malware.

3. benken2202001

benken2202001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 114   +16

since it only happens in games, i agree with zephead that its a software issue. However you might need a reformat. Seems like windows / directx issues. just partition any free space on your huge HDD, copy your "save" files over to it, then reformat / install windows back to the old partition

4. Scintir

Scintir TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, well i guess it could be the format. And my HDD isn't huge =]. Found some 500 GB hard drives for about $200 that was decent. ill try reformating it. How do i put all my saved ones on the unpartioned (i think i partioned it all) And it couldn't be a virus problem cause i don't have it hooked up to the internet. Im using my mom's crappy compaq right now.

5. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

wait a minute...did you reformat or reinstall windows when you changed out the motherboard and processor?

when you change the motherboard out with a different one, it is almost always nessesary to reinstall windows. often times the system simply won't boot until windows has been installed using the new board.

6. Scintir

Yes, when i put in the new mobo and the new cpu i completly formatted the HDD and i reput in windows. then windows was screwing up so we tried to fix it. Then my uncle ghost his drive to mine to try to fix it. didn't work. Then i finnaly fixed it and i got on and deleted his stuff. But he had way to much and it had weird settings taht would talk forever to redo. So i just reformatted it again and reinstalled everything.

7. Scintir

Ok, well i checked my computer for viruses with Avast anti-virus (i think it works pretty well) and no viruses have been found. I guess ill try to formatt the computer today.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.