Cpu-z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just bought (what I think is) a Barton XP 3200+, I noticed a lot of discussion about fake CPU's ( especially AMD Bartons ). One of the easiest ways to test a CPU was to run CPU-Z on it to see what CPU you have really got. Then I realised that I dont actually know what a readings an original Barton 3200+ should give out. All I know is that CPU-Z v1.28 is telling me that my CPU has a L2 cache of 64kb. Now, I know that my CPU should have an L1 cache of 128kb and L2 should be 512kb. So, have I got a fake processor or am I reading CPU-Z incorrectly ?
Maybe we should get a thread going to publish the readings from CPU-Z for all the different processors out there. At least we'll have somewhere to go when you think an online store is ripping you off !!
What do you think ?

Are you sure you are looking at the L2 cache? Having only 64kb of l2 cache on a "barton" would be obviously incorrect. The only Socket A AMD cpus with 64kb of L2 are the Durons and the Applebred Durons. I would suggest looking in two places:

1) Your system bios. It will tell you the CPU name and the amount of L2 cache. If it says 64kb for L2 there, you definately do not have a barton

2) Another CPU program such as CPUID for Windows, or if you use linux, cat /proc/cpuinfo

Make sure you have the latest version of CPU-Z as well, and that your system BIOS is up to date. It may be you have a board with an older bios that doesn't recognize bartons properly, but that is unlikely.

Hi there,

I tried AMD CPUID as you suggested and yet again, it did not recognise my CPU ( unkown CPU ) and again reported L2 at 64k with associativity of 16... ( what does that mean ?? ). I think I have been sold a fake cpu or they have tried to palm me off with a lesser CPU. What do you think ?
Many thanks for your help with this Soul, :)

Are you using that computer to post? If not, do this:

Take the cpu out of the socket and clean off the core. On the core and/or PCB (core for older athlons, PCB for newer) is the OPN code for the CPU. Write down exactly what is on the cpu, then relay it to us here. That will tell you for sure what processor you have.

Here is the CPU-Z version 1.28.6 report.... what do you think ?

Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Barton
Specification Unknown CPU Type
Family/Model/Stepping 6A0
Extended Family/Model 7/A
Package Socket A
Technology 0.13µ
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Clock Speed 2204.9 MHz
Clock multiplier x11.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 200.4 MHz
Bus Speed 400.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 64 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2204.9 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Didou said:
Maybe your board doesn't properly support that CPU.

Soul Harvester said:
Make sure ... ... that your system BIOS is up to date. It may be you have a board with an older bios that doesn't recognize bartons properly, but that is unlikely.

This is a possibility. What is your motherboard Make and Model, and, if you can get it, your BIOS revision?

Its an A7N8X-X with the latest BIOS rev 1010. Can the motherboard change the way that CPUID software reports ? I have now also tried AMD CPUID and WCPUID. All report the same L1=64kb + 64kb and L2=64kb. This surely cant be right.
Many thanks
J.

That is very strange. I am sitting right now at a workstation with an A7N8X-X with AXP in it that reports 256kb L2 cache.

I would try another CPU program. Look for CPUID.

I just tried AMD CPUID which again did not recognise my CPU and showed and L2=64kb
A also tried WCPUID which did not recognise my CPU and showed L2=64kb
There must be a problem with the CPU, do you agree, or am I being too simplistic about this :confused:

Next step: benchmark the CPU

In a minimal environment (have nothing running except explorer and the benchmark program), run a CPU test. I would suggest Sisoft Sandra. Run the cpu test several times and average them, then compare it to the listed result for the same CPU that sandra presents. Post your results here.

Sandra

Hi Soul,

Well,

I asked Sandra and she told me
ALU DHRY = 9022
FPU WHET = 3441
Well below the comparitive figures for the same processor.

I also used the Memory/Cache benchmark utility. It showed me that all is well until it started tests using more than 64kb, then the graph it produces illustrated a massive drop to almost zero. Well below what the comparitve graph showed. Its starting to look like a worst case scenario :suspiciou

Soul,

Thank you for your help and guidance. It was nice being able to "speak" to someone who actually knoiws stuff. I've posted on a lot of forums about this problem but, in the end, I used techspot. Friendly ( NOT PATRONISING ) people.

Thanks again
J.
:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back