TechSpot

CPUkiller

By Eric Legge
Jun 9, 2003
  1. DLx/P

DLx/P TS Rookie Posts: 103

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how can a processor be too fast for a older game? So if I were to play, say Sim City 2000 or 3000, on my dads 3.02 P4 would the processor or pc nut up?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,640   +322

There are some very early games DLx/P that the coding was such that if you were on a faster processor the action in the game would be faster, so if it was designed for a 386 and now you wanted to have win 98 or something on your shiney 3Ghz P4 it would just be a blur and no one in the world could play it at that speed.

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,341   +280

Try to play a game of Wolfenstein Spear of Destiny on your dad's P4 - lemme know how far you get.

LNCPapa

4. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

I would rather not try this judging by the poor rating thanks.

Anyone willing to give a real live example of running a game too fast? Note the time (GMT) and my state of mind ;) .

5. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

it's very simple

from the developers point of view there are 2 possibilities of coding a game

framerate dependent (often in old games, even sometime in HL) : the amount of movement is dependent of FPS so if you have 100 times more you move 100 times faster

framerate independent : you calculate movement with the system clock so all the systems with different hardware have the same movement

6. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

timmore> An old game called DethKarz (or something like that), which was coded to run on a 286 is unplayable on a pentium 100... Thus people use programs like this to get it down to a playable speed...

Yes, I know that game is extremly old, but it was/is quite fun to play, but if I run it on my old p100, I crash about 1 sec after starting...

7. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 1,595

moslo > cpukiller by far

moslo has been around for a lot longer, is a lot easier to use, and IMO works better for older games

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.