CPU's & Power Supply's fan spin erratically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recently, I bought the following hardware components in order to upgrade my old computer;
Intel E6300 Core 2 Duo Processor (Retail version)
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard
OCZ 2GB Kit DDr2-800MHz
Ultra Platinum 550W Power Supply (SLI Ready)
Westrern Digital 250GB SATA II 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

After installing all the above items in the computer case, I tried to power it up for the first time. Unfortunately, the fan of the CPU and power supply began to spin for approximately a few seconds, slowed down, stopped and began to spin again. It went into a loop process.

After speaking to the technical support of Gigabyte, I removed the system board, CPU and its fan out of the case. The fan ran steadlily without stopping if I only connected the system board to the power supply alone without the CPU and its heat sink/fan. The problem re-emerged after I installed the CPU.

Therefore, it seems like the CPU socket on the motherboard or the CPU itself might be the cause. I replaced the motherboard with MSI 975X Platinum, and I replaced the power supply with ThermalTake 500W PS unit. Problem persists.

It seems like the CPu itself is the problem now but I hate to go out and buy a new processor for the sake of confirmation due to the return policy of the CPU. I wonder did anybody experience this type of problem before and might be able to offer me some ideas. Personally, I dislike the LGA775 socket design since the pins on the socket could be damaged easily.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You said it yourself that the problem re-emerges when the CPU is fitted in. So it is most definitely the CPU.

Defently sounds like a cpu issue.

Personally, I dislike the LGA775 socket design since the pins on the socket could be damaged easily.

I actually like the LGA 775 for that design. I believe that placeing the pins in the socket helps prevent damage in shipping and board instalation as they are recessed in the socket (and well protected as long as the socket is closed and the cover is implace)instead of sticking out of the bottom of the cpu. Any pin design is verry easy to damage during instalation. The main reason Pins for modern CPUs are damaged so easily is the more pins that are added the thiner each pin must be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back