Cpu's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

I've been reading around trying to figure out what's the difference between the Xeon and the other processors(sorry for my informalism) c2duo, dual core. p4 etc. I know Xeons are for servers and such, and most enthusiast use dual core etc. Is there a big performance difference between the different types of processors (damn this sounds stupid) Can I play high graphic games on a Xeon? Someone please give a brief detail.

There's a huge performance difference between Celerons and their more expensive P4 counterparts, and there's a huge performance jump from P4 to Core2Duo. Do not confuse Dual Core with Core2Duo, Core2Duo is a brand while Dual Core refers to how many cores a CPU has.

Xeons are basically workhorses, but you can use them for games. From what I know, they carry more bandwidth or something. Nothing would stop you for using them for games. Same goes for AMD Opterons.

Pentium D is an Intel flop, something like a stopgap measure while Core2Duos are released. Don't buy them ever. They do perform quite well, but not as well as an equivalent AMD CPU would (or thats what I think).

P4s are being phased out. Don't think I need to say anymore.

Xeons are server/workstation oriented. They're generally the same as dekstop parts (same FSB, same cache size, etc.) but with a much more strict quality control & use different motherboard chipsets (less features, more stability) & right now they use FBDIMM memory which is expensive & quite power hungry (as opposed to regular DDR-II for desktops).

It can play games very well although you might lose a few frames per second compared to a Core 2 Duo due to the extra latency that FBDIMMs bring to the table. Xeons can run multiple VGA cards configurations (for 4+ monitor configurations) but last time I checked they can't run SLI nor Crossfire.

& lastly Xeons will not work on Core 2 Duo motherboards & vice versa: Xeons use Socket-771, Core 2 Duos use Socket-775.

*edit* btw only Xeons can run in 2 sockets & above configurations.

P4s are being phased out. < i have a celeron at home now 3.02 Ghz and I have had no issues with it at all, I thinkits been great (i am no gamer or multi task person though) I just got a pent 4 650 3.40 Ghz with the HT to play around with till the E6600 comes down in price. I figure one app at a time and the pent 4 should be just fine at that speed.
Those darn E6xxx series cpu's better start falling in prices !! There are even newer 4 cores by intel to be released this fall and AMD has some 45nm cpu's coming out as well..... It's incredible how fast the tech is changing now days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back