Crash and reboot with only this one game (warcraft) every time

By Spronovost
Jan 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello people,

I'm new here. I have a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 laptop designed for gamins, with a Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra with 256 mb RAM, a Centrino 2.13 GHz CPU, and 1 Gb or RAM. All of my games run like a charm, and they are all very recent and GPU intensive. Problem is, I recently decided to play World of Warcraft, which is quite older than all those games, and it crashes*every time*. As a matter of fact, the computer reboots just like that, after 5 to 20 minutes of gameplay. I have contacted BLizzard, Dell, and Nvidia, and so far no one knows what it is about (or are not caring that much, like Dell).

I read a lot of tech support forums from Blizzard, and people seem to have issues with routers, firewalls, ethernet cards, RAM, and GPU... While I'm not convinced that it's the internet/router that is the problem (since I have another, cheaper computer that works completely fine with the game, but I don't want to use it since it's very slow), I can't say that I know for sure that it's/it's not the video card or the RAM. By the way, I have the latest drivers for everything I can think of.

Blizzard suggested that I disable the restart mode for crashes, but it's not even enabled! So I can't even get an error message...

Also worth noting, my laptop has also been experiencing quite a few BSOD saying bad pool header, but only when a cd or dvd has been inserted from time to time (say, a bit randomly). Is this a sign or RAM problem? If it is, I don't think I can change it that easily, since it's a laptop...

Anyways, I'm desperately trying to make sense of how the most expensive laptop on the market (well, it was 6 months ago) can be so faulty, or wonder if it's not World of Warcraft's fault...

Included here is one of those infamous minidumps, which I can't figure out... It was created after a cd crash, not after World of Warcraft, since apparently Warcraft does not generate a minidump at all... But perhaps the dump file will be helpfull anyways.

Thank you people for your time and attention

Sylvain
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Unfortunately I can`t read your minidump because it`s corrupt.

This may be a sign of faulty ram.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.