The Computer:
Antec Sonata case with 380 watt TruePowerII
ECS PF4 Extreme
530J Intel P4 processor (3.0ghz)
Abit Radeon X700pro 128mb
NEC DVD+/- RW drive
Samsung CD drive

Problem:1

Last night, when i was listening to music and browsing the internet the monitor and audio went out. The monitor went into standby mode. When i shut it off and tried to turn it back on it would not start (the HDD LED would come on, but not the power LED). I disconnected the CD drives (if you read problem:2, kinda explains why i would do so) and the power, let it sit and it was fine until this morning. I ran it this morning, and then went to install the thermistors for a cooler master Aerogate 3 just to see temperatures. It hasnt started since as it is doing the same thing it was doing from before. I am sitting on my laptop hoping that it will go over time, but it is getting really annoying. I sent it to my uncle who took the motherboard to a store and they said they booted it up just fine.

My question basically is what would cause this? either the motherboard, processor, or power supply are my first choices, i can give more information about the computer if anyone wants but i didnt want to be some nerd naming off every little part inside.

problem:2
When i plug the DVD and CD drives into the IDE Port, they are noticed inside of the BIOS, but when i get to windows, only the CD drive is recognized, no matter which one is master or slave.

1 is really important, 2 can wait.

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Problem 1. It does sound like a psu problem. try a different psu, and see how it goes.

Problem 2. Try a different ide cable. Make sure the jumpers are correct on the optical drives.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

i will go ahead and try a new psu. I am wondering though if you can explain why it wont turn on for a while after it causes this failure though?

But for the second problem, i have tried 2 ide cables, and i have tried switching the master/slaves.

i will go ahead and try a new psu. I am wondering though if you can explain why it wont turn on for a while after it causes this failure though?

Sounds like the psu is about ready to fail.

But for the second problem, i have tried 2 ide cables, and i have tried switching the master/slaves.

I can`t think why that should happen. Is it possible that the dvd drive is faulty?

Does the drive show up in your device manager? If so uninstall both optical drives from there. reboot your system, and let Windows redetect them.

Regards Howard :)

so a new day... and a new update...

I still cant get it to start. I took everything out and let it sit outside of the case for about an hour. Put it all back together, and tried it. Didn't boot up, and then this morning i tried to boot it up and it still didnt.

Howard, you are saying its a psu problem one of my friends is saying its a motherboard problem, and another is saying its a processor problem.

I should be able to get a different power supply tommorrow, so i can try that. As for the rest, i dont know anyone else that has a LGA775 socket so i dont know. I called Intel and told them i may have a faulty processor. They said that i needed a technician to confirm it and the local place here was going to charge me $85 an hour to check it out... so i decided to forget about that.

I really dont know what i am going to do after the psu if that doesnt fix it. On top of the fact that i need something reliable (college student, cant really worry about working on this crap.. .i have a circuit analysis midterm that i should be studying for) and other stuff is acting weird (speaker wire is dead, my bluetooth keyboard mouse/keyboard keeps disconnecting, hp psc is blinking error messages when it is trying to scan)... sorry for the ranting.. just really frustrated.

Thanks for any of your help...

Brian

As I said in my other post. Try a different psu, and see what happens.

I can`t guarantee it`s the psu that`s at fault, but it does seem a good possibility.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back