Crashing Problems - Any advice much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graeme111

Hi,

Recently formatted PC and every game I've tried.. Oblivion, FEAR, Planetside, Dawn of War, Dark Messiah (this is by far the worst) all crash on me the same way sooner or later.

I run a AMD64 3200+, gig of ram, 7800gt and only had these problems with dark messiah before formatting -- I'm pretty sure ive installed all drivers I need... graphics, mobo, processor, sound an all that jazz.

The games run as fine as my system should run them (most at about 60FPS with settings I'd play them on) then suddenly totally lock up - screen freezes and sound loops about 1 second of itself for abit then just merges into a big horrible BUZZ OF DEATH that rattles through my room then PC hisses and what not then decides to reset.

At a lost end -- dreading its an evil hardware problem but I really really hope not because I hate going in there and fiddling about with stuff I dont quite understand haha -- I put it together myself.. probably half the reason this is happening. Like I said though ran fine before format which makes it strange.

Thanks in advance!

Check your system temperatures, especially GPU and CPU temps. Dowload a program like Everest or SIW to check them.

just google search for drivers... Temps on PC are ok -- im pretty sure its a driver problem, only happens with graphical apps... racking brain for all I should have. Got latest Nforce4 AMD 32bit and the 94.47 nvidia drivers arghgh driving me crazy -- got Dark Messiah and new Dawn of War Exp. waiting!

nickc,
Go to AMD's website and download the Cool & Quiet driver.

Graeme111,
What's your PSU make, model, wattage, and amperage on the +12V rails?
Look at the PSU's sticker, that info should be there.

Regards :wave:

Hey Wolfram - sorry its been afew months - started uni and not had a chance to keep at this prob... forgot about it infact. Fired up Oblivion for a quick spin and PC harshly reminded me with a crash. STALKER coming soon need it ready! Here's info if your still about these boards - help would be v much appreciated.

PSU
Make: Sweex
Model: BA000110
Wattage: 650w
Amps over +12V rails:25A

Edit: Oops! this isn't exclusivley for Wolf -- if anyone has any ideas chuck them at me please : D

Hello again!

25A should be enough for a 7800GT card.

ME said:
Check your system temperatures, especially GPU and CPU temps. Dowload a program like Everest or SIW to check them out.

Did you check that?

wolfram said:
Check your system temperatures, especially GPU and CPU temps. Dowload a program like Everest or SIW to check them.

can i ask where do u get these programs? and could you give us the link for them?

Lavalys has stopped supporting the free Everest programme, but it`s still available. click on the link I gave you.

Regards Howard :)

The crash your experiencing is because the GPU is getting too hot, Can you give us your load temps on your graphics card,

Most probably over heating, Possibly your PSU can't handle the load,,

That PSU should be good enough. But you're right tweakboy, the GPU may be running too hot, those 7800GT's aren't exactly cool running cards.

post the everest reports on your sensors page regarding Temps and Voltages, minus the debugging info.

Have a read of my troubleshooting guide.. it may help somewhat..

Hey - Here's reports:

Mobo - 29 (celsius)
CPU - 69
Aux - 25
GPU - 46
HDD - 37

Presuming thats too high a temp for processor? not sure about GPU... will buy a new cooling system for proc if so - the old one was some dodgy third party thing that claimed to cool 50% better haha.

Opps, 69 C is too high for an Athlon 64 3200+. Something is wrong with your CPU's HSF.
Try to remove it, apply new, fresh thermal grease, and attach the HSF again. Also, clean the whole motherboard and heatsinks using a can of compressed air.

Regards :wave:

the old one was some dodgy third party thing that claimed to cool 50% better haha
well most third party coolers are better than stock.. but thats as long as you keep it clean and apply it properly..

Still not fixed problem.

I've tried all Wolfram's ideas - its definetly a cooling issue as you say but im totally stumped.

After applying thermal paste pretty much perfectly (so it seemed) a couple of times and still having cooling problems I had an experienced being give it a go ... still same shutdown on graphically intense programs.

Figured it must be air circulation as my old case had a pitiful fan and panels missing everywhere - new dual 120mm fan case and still same problem.

Heatsink is an acer64 had worked for about a year fine, seems to be last hazard area to check. I just don't believe anything is wrong with it though; it's connected to the processor fine; fan is running at ~2100rpm and it's still a chunk of copper and aluminium.

Getting so frustrated now - been standing strong against this problem myself so long now to avoid money hungry beasts but alas I fear it was all in vain.

This is a final cry for help before this epic battle is handed to the bloodthirsty hell spawn of a computer shop... ready to tip me upside down and shake me for all I'm worth - quite possibly resulting in cardiac arrest on my part.

Found problem - It's 7800GS overheating - if it exceeds 67celsius it fails, noticed this while playing stalker with Speedfan up. Not sure if this is a due to a cooling problem or the card is over-working rather than adaptively degrading frame rate to keep processes within capability. Runs Stalker VERY well - even on very high settings before it crashes - perhaps too well so I'm thinking it's the latter.

Either way gonna fire up the warranty and get it shipped back for a new one because case cooling is overly ample. Should put an end to this thread finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back