Crashing/Rebooting during 3D games

By crew_dawg16
Jun 12, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a computer that has put me at my wits end here. I started having this problem a while back and thought that it was hardware related, but after replacing everything and building a new computer essentially, it is still there.

When I play a game like Falcon 4.0 or Battlefield 1942, the computer will either crash to desktop and give me the error reporting message or the computer will get a blue screen of death and just restart.

Here is the hardware in my system:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Main Board
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton Core
    1 GB of matched DDR 400 Corsair Memory
    XFX Geforce 6600 GT AGP 128MB
    AC '97 On board sound controller
    200 GB Western Digital SATA Hard drive
    Antec 350W PSU

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I've had the same problem recently. I went from an Antec True 430 to an Enermax 535 power supply. Problem solved. I would say that you need to look at your power supply.
  3. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,760

Go into System Properties and under Startup and Recovery uncheck "automatically restart". That way you can see exactly what the error message is.
  4. crew_dawg16

crew_dawg16 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

Ok, well I already had the automatically restart unchecked. I did have one blue screen come up where nv4_disp.dll came up. I researched the problem and installed different drivers and haven't had that one again yet.

I did a memtest on my ram and found that with my RAM in dual-channel configuration, I get 49,000 some odd errors all in a row on one test. I switched it to single channel and have no errors at all after running through twice. I hope this solved my problems.

I'll report back later tonight with some results.

Thanks for the help
  5. crew_dawg16

crew_dawg16 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

Well, so far so good with my single-channel configuration.

Anybody know why I can't run in dual channel?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.