CRC Failed - everytime everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple dave

Hi people

Last couple of weeks I'm having real trouble to pinpoint a problem I've ecountered. every file I've download from the internet, be it an installer, or just a large rar file, when I try to open it I get CRC failed. Also I have downloaded the QT installer and Nero trial and they both give me either the file didn't download correctly (QT) , or error opening cabs (Nero). (Those aren't the exact errors, because I don't remember them word for word.)

I tried copying nero trial from my brother computer and the file copied ok, but again, when I ran the installer I got the same error.

I ran windows memory diagnostics on my memory, the longest test (overnight). No errors were detected.

The weird thing is: I can surf the net ok, and I can run programs installed already just fine, also listening to music or watching movies works as usual. but either downloading rar or cab or zip files, or running an installer\extractor result in CRC failure.

I Reformat my hard drive on the off chance that it was a virus, but the problem persist...

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Dave

CRC errors can be a pain.In no particular order -

If it only happens with .rar .cab and zips,try a different unzipper.

Temporarily disable Anti-virus.

If it happens with all downloads, try a new download from a different site(delete the failed one first).

Use a download manager eg Getright or a different browser.

Say : "I`ve tried everything and will someone suggest something else" :grinthumb

Get speedfan from the downloads section and use it to check the S.M.A.R.T. characteristics for your hard drive to see if the fault lies there!!!

CRC errors is a very common symptom of failing memory.

Run this memory test overnight to see if you have any obvious memory issues: www.memtest.org

Thank you all for your suggestions. :D

Peddant: it also happened with msi installer and cab files. Tried winzip too - same error. I download nero trial again using ie (I usualy use opera) and got crc failed. I'm also after a reformat and without my norton is (didn't want to go through installing all my programs back without making sure the problem's solved).

rik: I don't really know what S.M.A.R.T. characteristics is and how do I check it for faults? :confused:

rick: I did scan my memory using Windiag but I'm running now a scan using memtest. can't hurt to check twice, I suppose...

I said download SPEEDFAN and use IT to check out your S.M.A.R.T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back