Creating a Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have over 50 computers most which are under a workgroup with access to the internet. This is becoming a problem as more computers are being added to the workgroup. Thus, I decided to implement all PCs into one domain. I ordered some books/videos to help me plan this out. Meanwhile, as I wait for these to arrive, I was hoping you knowledgeable and experienced users here at TechSpot could help me. I have purchased Windows Server 2000 & an Exchange Server.

Primary Goals

1. Access any computer on the network via Remote Desktop Connection
2. Perform remote installations across the network using RIS (Remote Installation Services)
3. Perhaps use SysPrep (Is there a better method?) to clone computers already setup with all programs installed.

You will have to implement Active Directory and setup users/passwords and optionally groups. When you install Windows server you will be asked what role you want the server to take and at this point is where you set up your domain. You can also promote it later if you decide to make it a stand alone server. You dont need a domain to do the things you mentioned.. As for the remote access look at logmein.com, it free/cheap and works great.. For the remote installations there are a number of products that do that.. As for the cloning of computers that would work if you have all the same hardware.. I would recommend Acronis True Image.. Domains offer greatly increased security and if thats what you need, great..

Why did you buy 2000 ???? Why not 2003?
I control our work network of 50 pc's using 2003 server and exchange. I can only imagine that active directory in 2003 is far better than 2000. Surely you were given a budget big enough to afford 2003! If not, it sounds like you work at the same place as me, :eek: lol.

gguerra said:
As for the remote access look at logmein.com, it free/cheap and works great.. For the remote installations there are a number of products that do that..
Eh? Why not just use RDC its part of the OS. I use it for remote access AND installations (got loads to do tonight from home). Logmein is good, but you have to pay for it. If you're using a domain then RDC is fine. Logmein is better if you want to connect to a pc thats not on your domain, but you still have to install it on the client, other than that there's no need to pay for a program like that.

You could also consider virtualisation..... good for rolling out system installations.

have you thought of client licensing (49-50)
watch out for the W2K server will not work with 4 cpu's
so if running a 2 cpu with HT you have to disable HT
or you need W2K advanced server that will work with dual cpu's HT
I have 2 work groups in my network and they communicate reliably
split machines up according to workgroup functions

k.jacko said:
Logmein is better if you want to connect to a pc thats not on your domain, but you still have to install it on the client, other than that there's no need to pay for a program like that.

True.. I use PCanywhere here at work over the LAN which is a commerical product. I use logmein to access my home computer from work and vice versa. I think Microsoft has a free add-on for remote control via MMC (which I've never used). It is free. For more info click here

yeah, i use remote control all the time, for either spying on users, showing them what to do when they ring me and say "how do i do this?". I also use it when doing remote installations from home. I check to see if any users are still logged into the server. If they are, i remotely view their desktops to check they don't have any unsaved work before i reboot. You can set remote control to either ask the user for permission or to do it stealthily. :evil:

Also as samstoned said you'll need plenty of user CAL's for your domain.
And if you run MS SQL you'll need a licence for every cpu that it runs on. ie. dual xeon server = 2 licences required. Goddamm microshaft!

its just the remote control add-in on the mmc. You can turn the user authorisation off, so you can remotely view their desktop without them knowing.
Lol..... ohhhhh the fun i've had with that in the past. :evil:

I have recently trialled some monitoring software that logs everything and you can use it in stealth mode so the user never knows. Its a keylogger, web traffic monitor, file monitor, etc... it did everything. Although it borders on the infringment rights of employees i believe. Unless you tell them that the network will be monitored and they sign an agreement. Damned if i can remember the name of it though.

jacko

I installed the remote add-on, can't seem to get it to work..

1. ran rcontrol_setup once,
2. copied rcontrol.exe to windows folder on my computer.
3. Enabled remote desktop on my PC,
4. went to the AD MMC on one of my servers, under computers, I right clicked on the name of my PC, selected remote control and nothing happens

Also two questions;
1. Can I use AD MMC from my PC (not a server)
2. How do you turn user authorization off

Sorry if it seems I hijacked this thread, just a couple of ?'s which might help original poster. Thanks..

Tbh, i think it may only work when the users connect to the terminal server. I just r.click a user in task manager (on the server) and select Remote Control. You alter the authorisation settings in the users AD account.
So in hindsight ggeurra's suggestion of using logmein, may be better. Pity it costs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back