Creating a dvd with heaps of episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph30nIX

Ok hi guys,
I have southpark season 1-3 on 12 CDs.
What i want to do is make so i am able to have all 30*(1) episodes on the
one*(2) DVD and make it so that its playable on a DVD player. when using my producing program it makes it so i can only have approximatley 8 episodes on one disc.

So basically i need a way to compress it. Technically, if i could get a menu etc, could i just use compressed vobs that are like 150-200mb each??

*(1) give or take a few episodes.
*(2) at least get like 15 on one DVD.

You can fit many on one dvd, but the quality is so low that you can see the pixelization.

A dvd can fit up to 7 cd's. So 8 makes sense.

My guess is either your movie app is limiting or you haven't used the right functions. Such as wide screen and letter box. Google TMPGEnc

I might have forgoten to mention, but the episodes are only around 150mb each, and still at a decent quality, i dont see how when the program makes them like 500mb each that its making it better quality

well first of all which format do you have them now?divx??do they currently work in your dvd player?.akhilles is right there is a good chance your episodes are in tv quality,dvd standard is 720x480progressive/interlaces or 480i/p.a dvd has about 4.X gb on one disc provided its a single layer but if you have a dual layer dvd rw you can have double that space or get a two sided disc(would work with a single layer dvdrw)both way you can have double the amount of space.8 gb can more than easily hold all your required episodes,if you have a dvd authoring program you can make a simple menu to select each episode,but that is not my concern what i think might be a problem is the format and converting it and then playing it on a dvd player.by the way do you have a divx supported dvd player?

all are in .AVI (DivX format) my DVD burner supports DL buring, yet i dont have any discs. I know also how to make the menu.

I can convert them with another program, still the same size, in a .VOB format, but then my program (power DVD producer) wont let me import them for some reason ??

Im not sure about my DVD player supporting DivX, i dont think that it does, but i want a compatible DVD for pretty much any DVD player.

Thanks,
Ph30nIX..

i dont see how when the program makes them like 500mb each that its making it better quality
It isn't making them better quality, its converting it to a format it can deal with, likely mpeg2. That is why you see the file size change that much, mpeg2 is what dvds are encoded with. Divx is a different compression format and allows smaller files at similar visual quality.
There is not a way to make your dvd player play divx on a dvd if your dvd player doesn't support divx.

My suggestion is to convert those divx files to mpeg or mpeg2 (only do mpeg if your dvd player supports vcd) and then burn a couple of them to a cd. Just burn them as you would a normal data cd. Then put them in your dvd player and see what happens. On my dvd player it will toss up a generic menu showing the files, and if they are mpeg files I can just choose which one and it will play it.
If yours will do that, the simpliest way is to just burn all those converted files to dvd and put that in your player.

I'm sure you can do it with custom menus and your dvd authoring program too, but its just more tedious.

first of all,you said that your authoring program wont let you import them,do you get and error message?if so then please post it.sngx1275 is right you might want to try what he is saying.

some dvd players mainly chinese imports have the ability to play divx movies but since you say you dont know about it,i doubt if yours would have thefeature as this is a good selling point for these players to command a premium in the market.

dvd's are encoded mpeg2 format(variable bitrate)if you can convert your divx files to decent quality mpeg2 movies than instead of burning a dvd movie just make a data dvd and play that(like already stated by sngx1275).you'll have to try it a couple of times to get it right with the dubbing(audio sync) and all,so you might want to try a dvdrw +/- whichever your writer supports.

i knopw how to make a VCD fine,
but i wanted a DVD, doesnt seem like this is going to be possible.

Ah i think i get it now,
I convert the episodes into mpeg, or mpeg2 then burn to a CD/DVD and then it should play. Im pretty sure my DVD player can just play mpeg without a VCd menu or anything, thanks guys, i'll try this ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back