Creating a website???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ831

Ok so I've decided to creat a website...I already have a small one using a free hosting (yahoo) and domain (dot.tk)---my website is www.rj831.tk---I want to start building on that. With that in mind, does anyone know of a good (and cheap) host and domain? I'm thinking about using www.siteground.com as a host and going through www.godaddy.com for my domain--total price of this is 65.00 a year...thanks for any advice!

Personally, I use http://be-hosted.com

I've had only two problems of thier making - one being a small hack that allowed another user on the server to host files on my domain (nothing major - just annoying and was resolved almost as soon as I told them about it), the other was a DNS error at their end, which was reset within an hour of telling them and was then just a case of waiting for the DNS to propagate.

Both were resolved very quickly using their online ticketing system, and I've found their basic package to be quite generous for the price.

err, no it doesn't to me I'm afraid.

It offers 12000Mb of space, but only 500Mb of bandwidth

Be-hosted may only offer 500Mb of space, but it offers 25000Mb of bandwidth.

Personally, I value the bandwidth more than I do the space - it doesn't come cheap! Be-hosted is also $1 per month cheaper.

It's all about what you need really.

That said, if ever I need to build an uber-large site, I know where to look, providing the bandwidth I'd need to visit a site that large was cheap enough.

holy cow.. are those bandwidth figures right?

I'm seeing 12Gb (is that gigabits or gigabytes) with a 500Mb connection. as in 500,000,000 bits/second. my ADSL is only 512kb ( ~512,000)

there must be some mistake.

no, this is for hosting rather than internet access. The figures are correct. Bandwidth in this case refers to a total amount of data transfer per month. between the web host and the people that visit it.

Incidentally, the figures ar gigabytes, but not the base 8 gigabyte. 25GB = 25000 MB. For some reason, data and bandwidth gigabytes are different from storage and memory gigabyes.

the be-hosted package offers 25GB, and the siteground package offers 0.5GB

By contrast, be-hosed offer 0.5GB of web space, while siteground are offering 12GB

This site was recomended to me by another techspot member:

Go to www.1and1.co.uk
When you have your website hosted by them, they give you an impressive bundle of free software, including NetobjectsFusion.
That's easy for beginners.
You also get an FTP program and tons of help is available.
Currently special offer for £3.99/month

ive checked it out and it looks good.

Well, my main goal is to create a photo album on the site...so would I need more space or more bandwidth? thanks!! :giddy:

that would depend on how popular the site is vs how large the files are, taking into consideration any expansion you may wish to do in future.

Damn...where can I get 25000gb of space with 12000 bandwidth for only 5 bucks a month :D ....I'm gonna have to decided where I'm gonna go before I make a decision I guess...thanks for the input guys....

OK, so I'm finally ready to do this. I went with Siteground.com as the host and GoDaddy.com for the domain. I have a couple of questions though...How can I move my free yahoo site (www.geocities.com/bryant382_2000 or www.rj831.tk --- same site) to my new host? Also, is it possible to build off of this website using dreamweaver or will I have to start over because I'm going to be using dreamweaver now instead of the free yahoo builder? thanks in advance guys. :angel:

You can use any webmaking tool you like.
Just upload your (yahoo-)website stuff from your PC to your new host, then delete it at Yahoo and don't forget to tell your friends about your new web-address!

^Thanks man...Do you guys know where good and free web design templates can be found? The only good site I've found is http://www.oswd.org. You guys know of any more? Thanks guys... :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back