Creative driver problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
I'm just about fed up with Creative Soundblaster drivers. I don't think I will ever buy another Soundblaster product again (at least not one that requires drivers).

I get lockups while listening to music (or if my sound card is in use somehow) while copying files. It's definitely the drivers.. My soundblaster doesn't even share an IRQ with another device let along have a conflict. When I uninstall the SBLive driver and use the basic XP one, it works fine again.

Straight to the point, my question is does anyone know of a site where I can download previous or beta/leaked versions of Creative Soundblaster Drivers? I thought I had my old ones that worked fine, but I realized I must have not had them backed up so the only drivers for Windows XP I have are the new, crappy ones.

Anyway, I've had this problem ever since I've used Windows 98. I've been through three TOTALLY different systems/platforms and literally the only thing that has remained the same is the soundcard. It even did this on my old Pentium III 350MHz system from almost 4 years ago.

Since this problem has existed, the only way around it has been to use the Windows XP drivers. These are the ONLY DRIVERS that have NEVER had this problem that I've used. Windows 2000 and Windows 98 all suffered from this locking up problem.

I just recently installed Creative's newest SBLive drivers for Windows XP and it's been a total bust. Since I've installed these drivers, I have had several new problems... While watching television on my PC, the sound will randomly "thrash". It gets as loud as possible and boosts itself until it sounds fuzzy and horribly ear startling. I've managed to get around this without restarting by unchecking "Digital audio out only" and then checking it again. But it will do it again shortly after each time I do this.

Another problem I've had is the lockups again. Right now, I'm using the default Windows XP drivers which work wonderfully, but I'm not too keen on these meeting my gaming needs (No EAX and poor hardware acceleration.. etc..)

I've got a Soundblaster too, and use Windows Eggs-Pea (XP), and all i use are the drivers that are on the Windows Eggs-Pea disk and a newer one i got from Microsoft (windows update).

I've had no problems whatsoever with those. You sure its the drivers that are fouling up and not something else??

Originally posted by RustyZip
I've got a Soundblaster too, and use Windows Eggs-Pea (XP), and all i use are the drivers that are on the Windows Eggs-Pea disk and a newer one i got from Microsoft (windows update).

I've had no problems whatsoever with those. You sure its the drivers that are fouling up and not something else??

As impossible as it seems to me, I have to accept that it could have something to do with my software/hardware configuration. I just assume I'm unlucky and Creative sucks. :) I know there are people without these probelms, so it has to have something to do with my system and/or myself... That's what I keep telling myself anyway. It's hard to believe though since I have had the same problems with three completely different systems over the span of many years.

For Windows XP, any drivers I download off of the Windows Update site resolve this problem. Any drivers I download from Creative cause these probelms. Go figure. :)

On Windows 2000, I always had to to use the default Windows 2000 SBLive drivers, because all of the "official" ones would also have this problem. I have used Windows 2000 on my current system.. Athlon XP / MSI K7T266a system and my old 650Mhz Pentium III / ABIT-BE6 system.. Both exhibited these problems. This problem also occurred on my old Pentium III system under Windows 98.

I remember when I had my 350MHz Pentium III system (Used an old LX board) and Windows 98, I had the same problem when I ugpraded it to a SBLive!. It has never ended.

Also, when I had my 500Mhz system with an ABIT BF6 (BX chipset), it did the same thing... Again. I was using Windows 98 at this time as well. :rolleyes:

I've also been through 3 different SBLive cards since my first one, so I'm pretty sure the card isnt damaged as all of the SBLive cards exhibited these problems. The only common factor that all three of these systems have had is the SBLive and the case. ;) And let's just say I'm pretty sure the case isn't cursed or anything.

I'm not looking for an answer necessarily.. Just more drivers to blow up my system with. :)

Give me a few days and I'll let you know. ;)

I'm using them right now and no problems yet. I have yet to test them for the games I play though.

Well, i've got a problem with my SB Live Card. Not sure why, everytime when i play Need fo Speed High Stakes with EAX enabled...as i pass through a tunnel the speakers give out some very sharp sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back