Creative gamer mods Contra NES cartridge to propose to girlfriend

By Shawn Knight
Jul 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I’ve seen some pretty clever (and geeky) marriage proposals over the years but forcing your girlfriend to beat a video game – and not a very easy one – before you’ll pop the question is on another level. That’s exactly...

Read more
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I think I recall reading about this a few years back. I'm not certain though. :/

It's still interesting regardless. :) I know I fall short of having the talent to do such things.
  3. That's my buddy Quinn! I can't believe the news he's making with this, pretty awesome. To be fair, they get together like once a week and play Contra all the way through, so this wasn't some evil scheme to have her beat a hard game.

Oh, and she did say yes ;)
    Arris and Xclusiveitalian like this.
  4. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

Now the creators of the contra game will sue Quinn for copyright infringement. :)
    Xclusiveitalian likes this.
  5. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Haha, I was going to say, what if she got bored and couldn't be bothered playing through :)
    Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
  6. highlander84

highlander84 TS Booster Posts: 103   +24

I find this extremely cool.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

It's a good thing such things didn't exist when I proposed to my wife in the early 80's. If it did, I'd still be trying to hack the game today by which time she may have lost interest.
    coolazeem, Arris and highlander84 like this.
  8. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

I don't remember Contra being that good to want to play through it once a week, but each to their own :)
  9. customcarvin

customcarvin TS Enthusiast Posts: 103   +8

This inspires me... Hmm, now to choose old-school game to use for divorce proposal... Splatterhouse??? XD
    highlander84 likes this.
  10. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

So that's who bought my old NES contra game off ebay.
  11. True (nerd) story.