TechSpot

Credit Card-Size Hard Drive Can Hold 5GB

By Julio Franco
Jan 17, 2003
  1. Sounds like a very impressive and exciting piece of technology, even more when you consider there are moving parts inside the card (read below), perhaps this has a lot to do with the relatively low price (I suppose $15 = 100mb card).

The article also details comments on high durability and even flexibility of the card, access speeds remain to be seen, too.

Created by a company with the same name, StorCard can contain from 100MB to more than 5GB of data on a plastic card. At first glance, it looks like a credit card, and even has a magnetic strip like a credit card, for potential use in standard credit card readers.

The hard disk data, however, is accessed on a tiny spinning disk inside the thin card. A spinning wheel made of Mylar is engaged when the card is inserted into a StorReader, a USB-connected drive or PC Card that reads and writes to the StorCard. The reader is expected to retail for under $100 and the cards for under $15 each, Heil says.

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

i imagine that some day in the future, you will carry around a credit card sized device that will contain ALL of your personal data. Every book you ever read. Every e-mail you ever sent or received. Everything....

3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,704

Microsoft Mind .ORG 2046.

since .NET has been ditched

Ooh or Maxtor DiamondMind 200TB w/ 8GB cache.

4. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

I remember an article a few years ago that spoke about holographic data storage in a cube, and that once sucessful, the cubes would be able to contain all the digital information that exists on the entire earth today.

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Now just imagine what they can do with a sphere.

Never underestimate the power of pi.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.