Cricket takes aim at T-Mobile with new unlimited data plan

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Cricket Wireless on Sunday will launch a new unlimited wireless plan that’ll offer unlimited talk, text and data service for $70 per month. The rate drops to $65 per month for customers that sign up for the auto-debit feature, bringing the total monthly cost down to just $65 which includes all applicable fees and taxes.

Up to this point, all of Cricket’s service plans have included unlimited talk and text. What varies, however, is the data allotment.

Current customers can choose from 2.5GB of high-speed data per month for $40 (or $35 after the $5 auto-pay credit), 5GB for $50 (or $45 with auto-pay) or 10GB per billing period for $60 ($55 after auto-pay credit).

Like its “Smart” (5GB) and “Pro” (10GB) plans, the new unlimited plan includes coverage across Canada, Mexico and the US.

Cricket is also offering a $100 bill credit to T-Mobile customers that make the jump. The company, which operates as a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) / subsidiary of AT&T, claims its network is 275,000 square miles bigger than T-Mobile’s. Following AT&T's acquisitions of Mexico's Iusacell and Nextel Mexico last year, there's little reason to doubt that claim.

So, what’s the downside?

Some may be quick to point out Cricket’s limited selection of smartphones as a shortcoming but that’s not entirely accurate. Because Cricket operates on AT&T’s wireless network which uses the GSM standard, you can bring your own GSM-compatible smartphone to Cricket.

The big catch, however, is that Cricket limits its download speeds to 8Mbps on LTE and 4Mbps on HSPA+. I’ve reached out to Cricket regarding a few other common concerns (data caps and tethering) and will update this article according when I hear back.

Cricket’s new unlimited plan will be available beginning April 17, 2016.

Permalink to story.

I love crickets service! I never get a dropped call, their data speed is perfect for youtube, and now theyve got unlimited data? WOOOOO!!! get the LG stylo, the stylus is the new thing in smart phones.

I love crickets service! I never get a dropped call, their data speed is perfect for youtube, and now theyve got unlimited data? WOOOOO!!! get the LG stylo, the stylus is the new thing in smart phones.

Oh, "only" 8mbs or 4mbs? That's three times the speed I get on AT&T. If there's no other throttling I'll be looking into this ASAP. Of course, if Cricket is really a subsidiary of AT&T then a throttling trap for above-average data users is pretty much a given.

OMG! It has been so long since I heard anything about Cricket. I totally forgot about them until this article.

The big catch, however, is that Cricket limits its download speeds to 8Mbps on LTE and 4Mbps on HSPA+. I’ve reached out to Cricket regarding a few other common concerns (data caps and tethering) and will update this article according when I hear back.
and I'm still on 1Mbps LTE plan, 15GB?/month plan unlimited (throttled down after data consumption, according to ISP), the only plan I can afford, globe telecom Philippines. ;)

LTE internet is lousy and lossy on my mountain hideout... strong winds disrupt signal resulting to download/gameplay interruptions. this is why I did not bother to buy a 5Mbps LTE plan.

my ISP and its rivals do not offer DSL internet to our small town. high speed DSL internet is offered at a large town 30km from my place.

and I'm still on 1Mbps LTE plan, 15GB?/month plan unlimited (throttled down after data consumption, according to ISP), the only plan I can afford, globe telecom Philippines.
We're on AT&T with 15GB family plan, and charged $15 per 1GB overage. As bad as AT&T sux, they are the cellphone provider (such as it is) in this area. Sometimes I feel as if the US must be nowhere, because we live in the middle (aka: middle of nowhere).

The downside is that although the actual service works well, I have no complaints, their customer service is horrible and their billing system badly flawed.

and I'm still on 1Mbps LTE plan, 15GB?/month plan unlimited (throttled down after data consumption, according to ISP), the only plan I can afford, globe telecom Philippines.
We're on AT&T with 15GB family plan, and charged $15 per 1GB overage. As bad as AT&T sux, they are the cellphone provider (such as it is) in this area. Sometimes I feel as if the US must be nowhere, because we live in the middle (aka: middle of nowhere).

Cricket IS AT&T. Your current AT&T phones will work just fine if you switch to Cricket

is there no anti-bill shock plan on your US telecom? Philippine telecom rivals already implemented an anti-bill shock plan like surf plan 999php (Philippine peso, ~22$ US), max bill is 1500php (~30$ US).
After you've used up your MB allocation, you're charged at P2 per MB until you've reached your bill cap.
Be assured that you won't pay more than P1,500 for mobile surfing per month when you subscribe to GoSURF 99 to GoSURF 999.
No Bill Shock also guarantees that you won't pay more than P3,000 for your monthly surfing when you subscribe to GoSURF 1799 or GoSURF 2499.

You can't combine tethering with the unlimited data plan unfortunately. Just moved to a new place with no cable internet, so I depend entirely on tethering. The unlimited + tethering would have been amazing, but I guess I understand why they won't allow it.

I on the other hand think that it's rather interesting, haven't seen any articles like this in literally years. Last time I read about unlimited data usage was...um...like 8 years ago or so, that was when those completely died out here in Finalnd. Since the all have got the unlimited plans except for those who didn't upgrade their subscriptions themselves (who anyway got forced to upgrade within the first year or two). My guess is that the prices will drop in the states to the same level as we have here within 3-6years. All operatorts have roughly the same packages here, the only things that are different is the names and the prices on each package varies by 0.05€.... Anyhow, currently you can get unlimited calls/sms/mms + unlimited data usage (full speed) 3G for ~20€/mo (taxes and all included) and then a 4G variant of that for ~25€/mo.

Back