Critical security vulnerability Heartbleed disclosed in OpenSSL

By Shawn Knight
Apr 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The OpenSSL project on Tuesday disclosed a major security flaw called Heartbleed that could be used by those with malicious intent to spy on the "secret digital handshake" that takes place during secure transactions using Transport Layer Security (TLS) /...

Read more
  2. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 178   +25

That memory overflow.
  3. All VPNs just became useless ?

Just wondering, if the ssl connection to the servers arent secure, they won't need to ask who you are, they will know ?
  4. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +172

They have to be specifically trying to break into the VPN. If it is a major VPN provider, you probably will have a problem!
  5. Arwed

Arwed Newcomer, in training

Cryptocalypse. Might come handy though when u want to SSH into your brand new Tesla ;)
  6. Well I asked the question of the VPN earlier, and to shiv who replied. I could imagine a little team from the MPAA / RIAA jumping on this like hot sauce, this is like a gift from the heavens for them is it not ? Regardless of how illegal their footing may be to do such a thing, they still would.

I understand not every site etc is affected or has been fixed to protect the sploit, apparently twitter google and a few others got on this, steam on the overhand apparently did not.
  7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +172

They couldn't use that information in court I wouldn't have thought... they would be guilty of hacking the servers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.