Cross Over and Cat5

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledgus

Is a cross over cable a MUST if you want to network 2 computers Directly? Or can you use a straight through Cat5 to network 2 computers directly also?

Coz I have always known that a cross over is used to network 2 computers, but I have heard that a cat5 does the same job.. Doesn't this make cross over cables inferior and useless?

Depends on the NIC I believe. But generally yes to directly connect you need a crossover and not a straight. You can use a straight if you go through a hub.

Can a hub be used as a repeater?

Eg, if you are having problems with data being lost over a period of length, can you put a HUB in the middle, and connect the cables to it?

So no configuring needs to be done with the hub? just whack a hub in the middle and off you go?

sledgus said:
Is a cross over cable a MUST if you want to network 2 computers Directly? Or can you use a straight through Cat5 to network 2 computers directly also?

Coz I have always known that a cross over is used to network 2 computers, but I have heard that a cat5 does the same job.. Doesn't this make cross over cables inferior and useless?

dont believe everything you hear...

a crossover is necessary. of course there is something about the wiring in it that is needed.

UltimoAviso said:
dont believe everything you hear...

a crossover is necessary. of course there is something about the wiring in it that is needed.

Is Necessary? or isnt?

cat5 is the cable standard, and it can be either 'crossover' or 'straight-through'. The only diff is the config of the pairs of isolators at each end of the cable. So don't be confused into thinking that its either cat5 or crossover. Its cat5; then you decide whether you want crossover or straight-through. It is better to use crossover when going from pc > pc. Some nics do allows both standards (568A or 568B iirc), but to be safe go with crossover. They're easy to make up, if you have cable, RJ-45 connectors and a crimping tool.

Ok a couple more questions:

1. Can you use crossover cables in a LAN, eg, 5 Computers all connected to a HUB/Router ALL using Crossovers?

2.Can you use a combination of straight through and crossover cables? Eg, 5 computers connected to a HUB/Router, 3 Using a straight through, 2 using a crossover?

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back