TechSpot

Cross Over cable info

By shanekrista
Nov 13, 2003
  1. Hey i am just setting up my computer on a cross over, not throught a hub switch or router but just pc to pc. this is the first time i am doing this. I am woundering after the set up the IP's and the gateway. how i would go about playing games. For example what option would i pick in the multiplayer option, TCP/IP or LAN, and do the systems operating systems have to be the same, thankxs for your time.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You would use the same options everywhere as you would in a normal hubbed/switched network. You can use any operating system you like.

3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

The only thing you need are computers equipped with just plain old regular network cards and a cross over cable.

Just assign each computer a unique, but simlar, IP address (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 should work fine) and set the rest to automatic.. That's it. There's no need for DNS or DHCP server information. Any operating system should connect to the network.

If you are making your own cross over cable, here's how the colors go

End #1:
    gw / gg / ow / bl / blw / oo / bw / bb

End #2:
    ow / oo / gw / bl / blw / gg / bw / bb

ow = orange white
    oo = orange
    gw = green white
    gg = green
    bw = blue white
    bl = blue
    blw = blue white
    bw = brown white
    b = brown

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

They should be on the same subnet. Use those addresses, but use a common subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 as well. No gateway, DNS or anything else.

5. BBString

BBString TS Rookie Posts: 54

Most games use TCP/IP, although some classic oldies use other protocols such as IPX/SPX...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.