Cross Over cable info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey i am just setting up my computer on a cross over, not throught a hub switch or router but just pc to pc. this is the first time i am doing this. I am woundering after the set up the IP's and the gateway. how i would go about playing games. For example what option would i pick in the multiplayer option, TCP/IP or LAN, and do the systems operating systems have to be the same, thankxs for your time.

You would use the same options everywhere as you would in a normal hubbed/switched network. You can use any operating system you like.

The only thing you need are computers equipped with just plain old regular network cards and a cross over cable.

Just assign each computer a unique, but simlar, IP address (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 should work fine) and set the rest to automatic.. That's it. There's no need for DNS or DHCP server information. Any operating system should connect to the network.

If you are making your own cross over cable, here's how the colors go

End #1:
gw / gg / ow / bl / blw / oo / bw / bb

End #2:
ow / oo / gw / bl / blw / gg / bw / bb

ow = orange white
oo = orange
gw = green white
gg = green
bw = blue white
bl = blue
blw = blue white
bw = brown white
b = brown

Originally posted by Rick (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 should work fine)

They should be on the same subnet. Use those addresses, but use a common subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 as well. No gateway, DNS or anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back