Cross-Over Cable Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin16

Hey

Quick question....

Are cross-over cables supposed to work as a regular ethernet Cat5 cable? Because I bought one and it worked as an ethernet cable for my internet connection, but I haven't tried using it for DCC.

No, a crossover cable is not the same as a straight-through cable..
Some network devices are able to detect crossover/straight cables and adjust their signals accordingly so you can use any type of cable, but that is more of an exception than a rule.

Yeah I know it's not the same but I just thought it was weird that the crossover cable worked for my modem connection.

A crossover cable is really only designed to network two computers (only) It allows the two to be differentiated and share an Internet connection.Your machine worked because it is connected alone.You would not get any problems until you joined a Domain or Workgroup behind a switch or router.

just an interesting point,
Network cables only require 4 of the 8 wires to work.
The other wires are used to insulate the other cables, and provide electrical stability.

All 8 wires are needed for gigabit ethernet. You can also put two fast ethernet links through one cable. Or use the same cable for ethernet and telephone.
A crossover cable was originally meant to uplink hubs and switches.
Ethernet has nothing to do with internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back