crossover cable question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all. I have two issues...

First, I need to connect two computers directly together in order to share files and a printer, so I went to Radio Shack to pick one up (it's accross the street and I didn't feel like driving). Now... since it's radio shack and not a real computer store, all they had were 10 foot cables, which aren't long enough. The guy told me that I could just couple two crossover cables together. That doesn't make sense to me... wouldn't two crossover cables connected together make a regular ethernet cable? Shouldn't I connect a regular ethernet cable to a crossover cable in order to make the right connection?

Second, I am connecting to the internet via a USB wireless adapter... but I don't want to network with the other computers on the wireless network... I just want to network these computers together and share the internet connection through the adapter. Can I do this? How?

mtdewrulz said:
First, I need to connect two computers directly together in order to share files and a printer, ... all they had were 10 foot cables, which aren't long enough. The guy told me that I could just couple two crossover cables together. That doesn't make sense to me... wouldn't two crossover cables connected together make a regular ethernet cable? Shouldn't I connect a regular ethernet cable to a crossover cable in order to make the right connection?
you're right :) you need a special connector to do that however.
Second, I am connecting to the internet via a USB wireless adapter... but I don't want to network with the other computers on the wireless network... I just want to network these computers together and share the internet connection through the adapter. Can I do this? How?
ok, you have
modem -- access point(?) --wireless-- system-A​
and want
system-A -- wired-- system-B​
use the xover cable between A-B, enable Internet Connection Sharing on A,
which will force NIC on A to be 192.168.0.1. set the NIC on B to 192.168.0.2
mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1

System-A can define Sharepoints and system-B will find them.
be sure to read-up on simple file sharing.

jobeard said:
you're right :) you need a special connector to do that however.

ok, you have
modem -- access point(?) --wireless-- system-A​
and want
system-A -- wired-- system-B​
use the xover cable between A-B, enable Internet Connection Sharing on A,
which will force NIC on A to be 192.168.0.1. set the NIC on B to 192.168.0.2
mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1

System-A can define Sharepoints and system-B will find them.
be sure to read-up on simple file sharing.

First of all, thank you very much for your help and time.

hmmm... I got a "snap in Cat5 coupler - for cable-to-cable or panel-mount coupling of RJ-45 connectors" at radio shack. What kind do I need?

and to clarify...

I have...

system P (my parents computer downstairs) which is connected to the modem and the wireless router. I have a wireless adapter on my computer (system A) and I want to connect it to my other computer (system B) via a cable... so I want to have...

modem -- system P (parents computer) -- wireless router -- wireless adapter -- system A -- cable -- system B

...and I don't want systems A and B to share anything with system P.

I belive this is what you are talking about... but where does th printer go? which system?? or do you want a print server?? please make any corrections to the drawing

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    3.2 KB · Views: 5
mtdewrulz said:
I got a "snap in Cat5 coupler - for cable-to-cable or panel-mount coupling of RJ-45 connectors" at radio shack. What kind do I need?
Sounds correct :)

joked u 2 said:
that system should work!! do you know how to set it up?? or have you??

Apparently I don't know how... one computer seems to be fine... it has a local area connection all set up and enabled... but I can't configure the other computer (the one with the wireless adapter) to see it. I keep trying to create a new network connection but it doesn't work... I go through the whole network wizard thing and when it restarts there is still just the wireless network... no new connection is made.

have you, or did you get a cd from the manf. of the router if so use it and follow the instructions.you do not, or should not have a hardware problem[configureation wise] it is most likely a system configuration problem, although it could be a bad card. from what you tell me you can't get a wireless connection, the wizzard freezes in setup... update the drivers... reset all configureations on that computer to default... try that, see where it gets you... post and describe your resluts.
GOOD LUCK!!

-JOSH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back