Crucial MX200 1TB & BX100 500GB SSD Review: Replacing the venerable MX100

Steve

Staff member

crucial mx200 1tb storage ssd crucial mx200 bx100

Apart from being one of the most affordable SSDs, the Crucial MX100 was also quite fast and in time proved to be extremely reliable despite a few firmware bugs which were fixed along the way. Despite being a phenomenal seller and still offering solid performance even by today's standards, Crucial saw fit to replace the MX100 series roughly six months after its release.

Its successor would be appropriately named 'MX200' and along with that new series Crucial also introduced the even more affordable BX100 series. Along with announcing the MX200 and BX100, Crucial also made a point of showing of its new SSD toolbox software called "Crucial Storage Executive," which lets you effortlessly update your SSD's firmware, monitor operating temperature and overall health, reset the encryption password and examine used storage space.

On today's menu is the beefy 1TB MX200 ($470) along with the 500GB BX100 ($190).

Read the complete review.

With today's expanding requirements and how fast these drives are, I could give up a little speed for capacity if they sold 1TB for the right price. It would have to be $30-$60 cheaper then the Samsung equivalent; although If they think people are going to buy these over the Samsungs for the same price they maybe Crucial has a bigger following then I thought.

I specifically bought this SSD because I actively do not want to give any more of my money to Samsung considering how badly they've treated owners of the epic fail known as the 840 EVO.

I'd say in the scheme on things, Samsung's EVO 840 problem isn't anywhere as near as bad as the OCZ problems.

Don't know if they have fixed the issue fully but sounds like a design flaw. SSD tech is still in relative infancy.

HDDs on the other hand, we seem to put up with a lot. Seagate and WD drive reliability is tragic. Newer gen drives die well within warranty periods often for me. I'd much rather piece of mind in the form of reliability than a free replacement.

DWA sounds exactly like what the Vertex 4 was doing in 2012: write in SLC mode first in order to achieve faster write speeds (thus halving the available capacity of the drive), then consolidate as MLC in the background (to regain the lost capacity) .

Wow I would've thought the newer model would be faster or cheaper. It's neither!

Nothing about battery drain? For those of us looking for laptop upgrades, this is a legit area that needs to be reported on.

Back