TechSpot

Cruzer Micro 2gb showing as 16MB, but not formatting

By hellokitty[hk]
May 3, 2009
  1. My friend asked me to fix a Cruzer Micro 2GB, I don't know what he did with it, but now if I try to format with Windows or HP USB format utility, it shows up under SanDisk S3 UCL Mode 3.00 (16MB) (E:\) and only 16MB, and I can only format to FAT and NFTS. If I do try, the HP USB formatter stops with an error "Saying Device media is write-protected." after hanging at "Partitioning the device".
    All other tools like the OCZ format utility, lexar, UMP too, all don't even see the drive.
    I can't access the drive, windows asks me to format first, comes up with an error.
    Shows up on Device Manager.
    Thanks for the help.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Topic Starter Posts: 3,435   +145

Oh do you by any chance know why this happens? I'm kinda suspecting a bad format using windows format, my friend tends to format unnessecarily, but i don't know what exactly happens. Second is of course the sheer unreliability of Cruzers :\.

The number on mine says SDCZ6-2048RB if that helps.

4. Dr. Vader

Dr. Vader TS Rookie Posts: 98

Go to My Computer, Right click on the USB device ( generally drive E: ) select Properties>Tools>Error Checking run the check and fix all problems. Then try reformatting..

5. hellokitty[hk]

Quick update, the low level tool won't let me format, it says it doesn't support drives under 65535 sectors, probably because computers see it as a 16mb drive.
    Fixing errors did not do anything, checked both boxes, the windows just dissapears after i click start and I still can't format.

6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Lets just be clear about all of this

It's 2 Gigabyte

Please throw in bin, and buy a $10 4Gig drive
    Actually not sure on exactly the cheapest price ever. But I'm on to my 4th Flash Drive and it's a titanium 4Gig (actually I think it's 8Gig, I'll check later :D)
    Anyway, these flash drives do fail. That particular one has had many failures recorded across the Net

7. hellokitty[hk]

Ok I was going to give up too, ill just try booting into like linux or something and see if that works.

8. Dr. Vader

Dr. Vader TS Rookie Posts: 98

'Tis why you don't record your entire life on a 2gig thumbdrive.

Sorry about the failure, I would recommend the PNY Attache 8GB Flashdrive that's very affordable and mine has been flawless since the date of purchase!

9. hellokitty[hk]

I'm sure he didn't, I did mention he formats often, too often. I actually doubt he actually has any data to store.

He also has two cheep Kingston drives that are pretty messed up, and another drive from some sketchy manufacture that died, I resurrected that one though. I'm sorry, no racism intended, but i've been telling him to stop buying $1 drives made in China!

Oh well. Thanks for your help everyone.

10. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie

Controller can't boot the firmware code, that's the "Safe Mode" for SanDisk.

Causes:
    #1 memory chip is bad
    #2 memory chip is loose
    #3 firmware is corrupt
    #4 AES-128bit key used to decrypt data on the NAND is invalid

11. hellokitty[hk]

Ah thanks very much, now is there by any chance fixes I can try? After all, no harm in trying, the drive's data is probably toast, and perfectly replicable too.

I looked previously, and I can't seem to find firmware updates.

12. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie

You could try applying moderate pressure to the memory chip, if its a bad solder joint that may temporarily fix the problem, if that works you can rework the NAND chip as a permanent fix.

If that doesn't work than I'm out of ideas.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.