Cryptic tweets suggest Android 4.4 KitKat could launch on October 28

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A pair of tweets from the Twitter account @KitKat have fueled speculation that Google's next Android refresh, controversially dubbed KitKat, is set to launch later this month. Specifically, many believe we could see the new software -- and perhaps a new gadget or two -- arrive on October 28.

In what may be a bit of a stretch, the general consensus is that the first image showing the Android KitKit logo with the tagline “everybody dance now” is a reference to C+C Music Factory’s 1990 debut album (and hit single) Gonna Make You Sweat. Members of the group were previously in a house-music group called The 28th Street Crew -- it’s the 28th that web users have picked up on from the first visual clue.

android kitkat oct twitter android 4.4 kitkat kitkat launch date

The second image contains the tagline “Sometimes you have to look for the signs…” and shows a series of KitKat candy bars arranged to spell out “This Is It.” This could be a reference to Michael Jackson’s 2009 American documentary / concert film which just happened to be released on October 28.

Make of it what you will but a late-October release certainly seems plausible given Google’s track record. Last year, the search giant announced Android 4.2, the Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 all on October 29. Given the KitKat revelations, does that also mean we might see the Nexus 5 officially surface on the 28th, too?

Permalink to story.

Why is Kit Kat controversial?
It's more interesting? Who knows. The fact that it's a brand name was settled in the very first story about Kit Kat. They talked to Nestle and got permission, the 'controversy' was over before it started.

And please let's not start playing C&C Music Factory... it's still too early. We're just getting around to disco with daft punk and I think it's still too early for that. Although I will go on record saying I'm completely ok with skipping ahead to a 90's hit and ignoring the previous decade just in case someone thinks Jessie's Girl would make a good Android promotion.

So K is no longer 'key lime pie' but is officially 'kit kat' and L is now 'lime pie' ? ( seriously, I forgot how/when google made the naming switch for K and I have no idea what L will be.)

In what may be a bit of a stretch, the general consensus is that the first image showing the Android KitKit logo
typo error. not sure where to report. 'kitkit' in a philippine local language means to nibble.

Back