'Crysis 3' hacked to run at 8K resolution is simply stunning

Shawn Knight

Staff member

crysis graphics gaming hack 8k resolution

Current GPU hardware already struggles to run Crysis 3 at 1,920 x 1,080 with details maxed out. If you want to run the game at 4K, you’re going to need a pair of GPUs to pull off the feat. But what if you want to go full-on crazy and run the title at 8K resolution? Not possible, you say?

It is if you are using a hacked executable from K-putt. Just don’t expect the rest of your hardware to be up for the task.

The end result is what some are calling the most beautiful examples of real-time computer-generated graphics they’ve ever seen. If fact, it’s not a stretch to mistake the screenshots for hand-drawn concept art. Yeah, they’re that full of detail.

crysis graphics gaming hack 8k resolution

The enthusiast’s computer – a quad-core Haswell Xeon 1230cv3 and an overclocked Radeon 7950 – was only able to muster two frames per second while running in 8K mode. Technically, he used an ultra-widescreen resolution of 8,000 x 3,333 which consisted of 26.6 million pixels. To render at a playable frame rate, you’d likely need 10 GTX Titans all working together.

To snag the screenshots (each clocking in at around 24MB), K-putt kept the resolution at a normal rate until reaching an area prime for a screenshot. Then, he changed the settings to 8K for the capture.

Be sure to check out his Flickr gallery for all of the full-resolution screenshots. To download an imagine in full-size, select the picture you want then click the three dot dropdown on the right side and select download.

Permalink to story.

LOL...2fps, eh? Well, the point wasn't to actually PLAY the game, but to show off the artwork. And well done in that regard. Makes me wonder how many years away are we from actually having these kinds of gaming resolutions at 60fps. We all know it's going to happen sometime.

Wtf!!! Thats amazing and looks awesome but I find the 2FPS part making me laugh. Impressive to say the least but obviously not feasible even on the most OP system possible at this time.

Though it does bring new meaning to the idea of "Can it run Crysis".

10 titans... thats like calling 1 7950 equilivent to atleast 2-3 titans... I would say that 2 R9 295X's OC'D quite a bit will be able to get around what 25-30FPS now THAT is playable more playable then 2FPS lol and crysis 3 maxed out at 1080P can get 50-60FPS depending on your system.

Cryengine is a pretty amazing game development platform. More realistic than most if not all others I've spent some time on.

It's just showcasing. When 4K is mainstream hardware will have advanced so much you'll be able to play the game without breaking a sweat on a regular mainstream gaming PC for a fraction of the cost. I'll wait until then.

Just checked the Flickr gallery for all of the full-resolution screenshots. For some reason they all looks like painting. Very nice.

Is this just for the LOLZ?:) ... like the amd processor overclocked above 7ghz (?) but under liquid nitrogen cooling and the intel processor overclocked to 8.1ghz (?) ?
The enthusiast’s computer – a quad-core Haswell Xeon 1230cv3 and an overclocked Radeon 7950 – was only able to muster two frames per second while running in 8K mode. Technically, he used an ultra-widescreen resolution of 8,000 x 3,333 which consisted of 26.6 million pixels. To render at a playable frame rate, you’d likely need 10 GTX Titans all working together.

Though it does bring new meaning to the idea of "Can it run Crysis".
:) best quote of the day.

Wouldn't looking at pictures on a 1080P or 1600P display be kind of silly. You'd need an 8K monitor to actually see the true image. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have one of those laying around.

Wouldn't looking at pictures on a 1080P or 1600P display be kind of silly. You'd need an 8K monitor to actually see the true image. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have one of those laying around.
Obviously he's using a multimonitor setup.

If you're interested in this there is someone else who took some screenshots of games running at 12264x4000. Apparently some of the screenshots are over 100mb.
It's at overclock.net search for 49mb gaming test.

Last edited:
I would say that 2 R9 295X's OC'D quite a bit will be able to get around what 25-30FPS now THAT is playable more playable then 2FPS lol.
Well, it is more playable than 2 f.p.s., but I wouldn't call 25-30 "playable" for a first person shooter- an RTS game yes, but Crysis 3. Not really. You'd need to be a real masochist to persevere with that kind of framerate when simply disabling fullscreen MSAA (which shouldn't be much of an issue for a 4K (or indeed 8K) monitor given its pixel pitch) would provide a better experience.
It's just showcasing. When 4K is mainstream hardware will have advanced so much you'll be able to play the game without breaking a sweat on a regular mainstream gaming PC for a fraction of the cost. I'll wait until then.
Exactly. People tend to judge the future by multiples of present hardware and software standards. Back when DX9 first launched people were extrapolating future graphics horsepower for resolution and features using in place quality settings - no one was talking features we now take for granted - global illumination, depth of field filtering, ambient occlusion, full scene tessellation etc. By the time this kind of resolution goes primetime- as you say, a new breed of high bandwidth architectures will be in place to exploit it...and we'll probably wonder how we ever got along without widespread use of full applied transparency SGAA, real time illumination, fully interactive environments, path, ray tracing. or being able to execute software rendering on the GPU pipeline.

At 4K let alone 8K, the need for AA is almost non existent. I rarely use it at 2560 x 1440 and wouldn't even bother above that unless the engine was simple enough that AA didn't really make much difference to fps.

I don't get why they don't hook something amazing like this up at a arcade with all the hardware to support it.

Well, it is more playable than 2 f.p.s., but I wouldn't call 25-30 "playable" for a first person shooter- an RTS game yes, but Crysis 3. Not really. You'd need to be a real masochist to persevere with that kind of framerate when simply disabling fullscreen MSAA (which shouldn't be much of an issue for a 4K (or indeed 8K) monitor given its pixel pitch) would provide a better experience.

Exactly. People tend to judge the future by multiples of present hardware and software standards. Back when DX9 first launched people were extrapolating future graphics horsepower for resolution and features using in place quality settings - no one was talking features we now take for granted - global illumination, depth of field filtering, ambient occlusion, full scene tessellation etc. By the time this kind of resolution goes primetime- as you say, a new breed of high bandwidth architectures will be in place to exploit it...and we'll probably wonder how we ever got along without widespread use of full applied transparency SGAA, real time illumination, fully interactive environments, path, ray tracing. or being able to execute software rendering on the GPU pipeline.
There's nothing wrong with what they're doing, in fact it's great, it sells and innovates but it's something I struggle to relate to. I've never seen the sense in splurging a whole wad of dosh on something I can wait a bit longer for that will better and cheaper but the industry needs people like early adopters, tech freaks, sponsors, commerce, general money wasters etc. to drive onwards and upwards. If it wasn't for them where would we be?

...[ ].....Though it does bring new meaning to the idea of "Can it run Crysis".
I that that meme had been executed, and its followers hung along with it..

Besides it is supposed to go, "oh sure, but will it run Crysis"?

I'm resisting almost five years of temptation, in not adding, "Crysis", to the spellchecker.

T....[ ].... I've never seen the sense in splurging a whole wad of dosh on something I can wait a bit longer for that will better and cheaper but the industry needs people like early adopters, tech freaks, sponsors, commerce, general money wasters etc. to drive onwards and upwards. If it wasn't for them where would we be?
If you can't be "the first kid on your block to have the latest and greatest", of anything. Do what I did, move to a poorer block....:D

I that that meme had been executed, and its followers hung along with it..

Besides it is supposed to go, "oh sure, but will it run Crysis"?

I'm resisting almost five years of temptation, in not adding, "Crysis", to the spellchecker.

If you can't be "the first kid on your block to have the latest and greatest", of anything. Do what I did, move to a poorer block....:D
I can't afford to move to a poorer block. In fact I can't even afford to pay attention to these posts anymore. :D

This is simply amazing. I don't think my machine can be able to pull of such... it might crash under the weight

Back