Crysis Warhead hang problems - maybe PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeddyB

Hi guys, I need some advice for my PC. I recently bought Crysis Warhead new for my PC and was really exited to play it, especially on my new 4850 512mb. I installed it fine and got it up and running, the initial loading was quite long, but it wasn't lethally long. Anyway, I got into the game and I've been having performance problems. It seems that I can run it on enthusiast (maximum) settings @ 1280 in DX10 mode. Like if it gets going it will hang in around 30 frames, but when I move around too much or look in completely the opposite direction, I get unbearable pauses that are actually more like hangs than pauses. Like I'll be shooting somebody, I'll get a shot from the opposite direction and glance over to return fire and it just pauses, sometimes for several seconds. It seems sorta like whenever I look over its trying to load a bunch of stuff. Now one thing I thought might be the problem is my PSU. I'm still running off of the original Antec 350Watt PSU that came with my case. I know this is under-powered and I'm going to replace it soon, but I just want to know if this might be the problem. Note that running off of the PSU is also a 2.6GHz C2D CPU, 2GB DDR2 ram, 4850 and two hdd's, one 320gb (main) and one 200gb (shows and movies).
I just defragged both of my drives and it didn't seem to have much effect. Also note I'm pretty sure I was still getting the same problems with enthusiast @ 1024 and enthusiast in DX9 mode, and a number of other combination's. It really doesn't seem like a lack of power from the GPU, I mean if I look straight ahead and don't induce the hangs, then it will render perfectly smoothly and fast, its just when I start actually trying to play the game I guess.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, please contribute any input you may have as it would be greatly appreciated.

I get the same problem as you in Crysis and Warhead, but it only happens occasionally. I have a 500W PSU and I was thinking it could be down to my slow hard drive (bog standard compaq one) I could be wrong though. It could be down to Crysis being badly optimised, make sure you have the latest 8.12 drivers installed for your 4850, sorry I cant help much.

My specs:
4850 512mb
2gb RAM
Phenom X3 8750
500W PSU

Thanks very much for your reply, your help is appreciated. I am currently running all of my games off of my main system drive which is a Western Digital 320GB SATA 2, 16MB cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back