TechSpot

Crytek adds stereoscopic 3D to CryEngine 3

By Jos
Mar 2, 2010
  1. It's hard to tell at this point if 3D will indeed be the next been thing in the consumer electronics world. But for all the hubbub surrounding the technology these days, one place where it could really flourish is in gaming. That notion is apparently shared by the folks at Crytek, who announced yesterday that their upcoming CryENGINE 3 engine -- which will power Crysis 2, among other things -- will be jumping into the 3D market with both feet.

Read the whole story

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

I loved Crysis, I play still every so often and complete it within a day or to. Now I hope Crysis2 burns if it forces 3D on me! Or if 2D gets some rubbish effects because they were trying to appeal to the 3D crowd.

3. thatguyandrew92

thatguyandrew92 TS Rookie Posts: 118

Far Cry 2 doesnt use the CryEngine

4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

FC2 = Dunia Engine (Ubisoft)

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

Hmmm...we'll see. Crytek has state-of-the-art graphics down to a science, but I am nowhere near sold on 3D. It's still a novelty as far as I'm concerned. But if anyone can make it viable, Crytek can.

6. EXCellR8

I would consider "state-of-the-art graphics" to be a bit less taxing on systems in order to be more considered a science. The original CryEngine looks amazing, don't get me wrong, but it's just not optimized for practical gaming. 3D is an absolute waste in the industry at the moment if you ask me; I doubt CryTek will be the ones who make it viable and user-friendly. Crysis 1 was a good game, but at the end of the day it's just a massive resource hog.

7. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

You do realize dunia is a modded cryengine 1 right?

8. EXCellR8

ugh, not this again... developers who buy or lease source code reserve the rights to change or revise the name of the base engine.

9. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,096   +66 Staff Member

Yep, Dunia is a modified version of the CryEngine, which Ubisoft bought from Crytek alongside the Far Cry series. Still, so that there is no confusion I've updated the image in the post :)

10. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

hey look, Psycho is on his way to see Avatar.

11. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

LOL@red1776...

12. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

so unless i have missed something, Crysis 2 is due out in a couple of months yeh? is the 3D aspect something that can be added after the game is coded rather easily? or is this going to delay the release? cmon help me out here Tom and Ex.

13. Did I just see X-Box 360 and 3D in the same sentence? Maybe I do need those glasses.

14. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +23

I don't want to play video games in 3d. Think about playing a game in 3d for five hours straight. Sounds like a recipe for a nasty head ache to me. And what will 3d do for graphics quality? There's a certain blurriness associated with 3d and the constantly shifting depth of field.

In a certain type of game, like maybe a rail shooter, or a flight simulator or just something where you're not spastically looking around like in a FPS 3d might not give you a head ache. But I see crysis hurting my brain.

15. I have been playing games in 3d for a couple of months now and i am loving it, you can play for hours with no probs., i feel the quality is better, you do not need FOV and AA , AF can be reduced with out lose of quality, the depth and pop out effects are brilliant.
    Games ive replayed and loved in 3d
    cod mw,com mw2, batman, borderlands, nfs shift, fear, fear 2 and lots more.
    I think that most people that moan about 3d games havent tried them

16. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

Great, not this guy again from the last 3D discussion. Do you work for some 3D company? and by the way, since the last time we spoke, i have now tried 3D gaming =)

17. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

I've tried the 3D thing, and seriously, everything looks laggy in 3D. Which is more or less that seefizzle said.

Its not due to fps, since if I take off the 3D glasses, the stuttering stops, however everything looks blurry.

Until something is done about this, I doubt I'd be buying one of these 3D systems anytime soon.

18. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Unless Crytek has some trickery up its sleeve, Crysis 2 has a long way to go before it's released. There haven't been any gameplay trailers yet, let alone even screen shots. Remember how much media there was before Crysis was released? I don't think Crytek would just drop a bomb like that.

19. UT66

UT66 TS Rookie Posts: 144

useless-gimmick.

20. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

Hmm, didn't we see screenshots of Crysis 2 that uses CryEngine 3 that looks worse that #2?
    You know the city screens? I still like my Warhead lolol. <3

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.