Crytek adds stereoscopic 3D to CryEngine 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

It's hard to tell at this point if 3D will indeed be the next been thing in the consumer electronics world. But for all the hubbub surrounding the technology these days, one place where it could really flourish is in gaming. That notion is apparently shared by the folks at Crytek, who announced yesterday that their upcoming CryENGINE 3 engine -- which will power Crysis 2, among other things -- will be jumping into the 3D market with both feet.

Unlike add-on systems for PC games, such as Nvidia's 3D Vision, Crytek has built the new engine specifically with stereoscopic 3D effects in mind. This means developers will have the ability to create their content in 3D on all platforms, including the PS3 and Xbox 360, rather than just the PC. CryENGINE 2 is still the benchmark for first-rate graphics on the PC, so we expect this to be just the icing on the cake of another great release.

Crytek plans to show off the feature at the Games Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco next week, where it will also give a demo for "LiveCreate," the developer solution that allows studios to make a game for all three platforms with a single editor.

Permalink to story.

I loved Crysis, I play still every so often and complete it within a day or to. Now I hope Crysis2 burns if it forces 3D on me! Or if 2D gets some rubbish effects because they were trying to appeal to the 3D crowd.

Hmmm...we'll see. Crytek has state-of-the-art graphics down to a science, but I am nowhere near sold on 3D. It's still a novelty as far as I'm concerned. But if anyone can make it viable, Crytek can.

I would consider "state-of-the-art graphics" to be a bit less taxing on systems in order to be more considered a science. The original CryEngine looks amazing, don't get me wrong, but it's just not optimized for practical gaming. 3D is an absolute waste in the industry at the moment if you ask me; I doubt CryTek will be the ones who make it viable and user-friendly. Crysis 1 was a good game, but at the end of the day it's just a massive resource hog.

ugh, not this again... developers who buy or lease source code reserve the rights to change or revise the name of the base engine.

Yep, Dunia is a modified version of the CryEngine, which Ubisoft bought from Crytek alongside the Far Cry series. Still, so that there is no confusion I've updated the image in the post :)

so unless i have missed something, Crysis 2 is due out in a couple of months yeh? is the 3D aspect something that can be added after the game is coded rather easily? or is this going to delay the release? cmon help me out here Tom and Ex.

Did I just see X-Box 360 and 3D in the same sentence? Maybe I do need those glasses.

I don't want to play video games in 3d. Think about playing a game in 3d for five hours straight. Sounds like a recipe for a nasty head ache to me. And what will 3d do for graphics quality? There's a certain blurriness associated with 3d and the constantly shifting depth of field.

In a certain type of game, like maybe a rail shooter, or a flight simulator or just something where you're not spastically looking around like in a FPS 3d might not give you a head ache. But I see crysis hurting my brain.

I have been playing games in 3d for a couple of months now and i am loving it, you can play for hours with no probs., i feel the quality is better, you do not need FOV and AA , AF can be reduced with out lose of quality, the depth and pop out effects are brilliant.
Games ive replayed and loved in 3d
cod mw,com mw2, batman, borderlands, nfs shift, fear, fear 2 and lots more.
I think that most people that moan about 3d games havent tried them

Guest said:
I have been playing games in 3d for a couple of months now and i am loving it, you can play for hours with no probs., i feel the quality is better, you do not need FOV and AA , AF can be reduced with out lose of quality, the depth and pop out effects are brilliant.
Games ive replayed and loved in 3d
cod mw,com mw2, batman, borderlands, nfs shift, fear, fear 2 and lots more.
I think that most people that moan about 3d games havent tried them

Great, not this guy again from the last 3D discussion. Do you work for some 3D company? and by the way, since the last time we spoke, i have now tried 3D gaming =)

I've tried the 3D thing, and seriously, everything looks laggy in 3D. Which is more or less that seefizzle said.

Its not due to fps, since if I take off the 3D glasses, the stuttering stops, however everything looks blurry.

Until something is done about this, I doubt I'd be buying one of these 3D systems anytime soon.

red1776 said:
so unless i have missed something, Crysis 2 is due out in a couple of months yeh? is the 3D aspect something that can be added after the game is coded rather easily? or is this going to delay the release? cmon help me out here Tom and Ex.
Unless Crytek has some trickery up its sleeve, Crysis 2 has a long way to go before it's released. There haven't been any gameplay trailers yet, let alone even screen shots. Remember how much media there was before Crysis was released? I don't think Crytek would just drop a bomb like that.

Hmm, didn't we see screenshots of Crysis 2 that uses CryEngine 3 that looks worse that #2?
You know the city screens? I still like my Warhead lolol. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back