Crytek makes CryEngine available to all with subscription model

By Shawn Knight
May 29, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It turns out that Epic Games may have created an entirely new way into the market for professional and aspiring game developers alike when they made Unreal Engine 4 available to all via an affordable monthly subscription model earlier this year.

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,580   +488

I don't think it will work, Crytek, as it takes a bit more than just making your engine publicly available and cheap.

The idea behind Unreal 4 is all about making it a platform for third-party developers, that's why at the very core is a set of the most comprehensive tools for game developers, something Crytek cannot offer.

There are many videos out there that show how it works. Here's just one of them:
  3. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102   +11

I don't agree with you VitalyT. I think it is a nice step towards "something". Offcourse it will not just start beating the crap out of the unreal engine for many reasons. However I think it is a great opportunity for developer who likes the Far Cry settings and stuff and for developers with a small budget. I'm looking at a smaller picture. Looking at the big picture will have no use at this point.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.