Crytek taking applications for free-to-play military shooter Warface

By Shawn Knight
Jan 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Crytek is now accepting beta applications for their upcoming free-to-play game called Warface, powered by CryENGINE 3. The program is being run through GFace, Crytek’s social networking service that’s still operating under a closed beta.

Read more
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,471   +300

I played this at eurogamer last year in London, nothing that special at the time to be honest, beat CoD though on the entertainment factor!
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Looks OK.

Hey, at least it is free to play; this game's graphics and animations are already at least 10 years ahead of CoD, which, last I checked, was $59.99 on Steam.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,471   +300

I guess, its crytek though, they used to be amazing, they created far cry and crysis, since the originals though they haven't produced a decent game, since this is a first for them, history dictates this should be pretty good!

Just because its free doesn't mean my expectations should be lower than a fully paid for game, the reason they make it free to play is because they reckon on average they make more money this way, games gotta be pretty damn special for people to actually buy in-game items.
  5. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 671   +202

SIGH..another "gaming network" with a grand total of ONE member company pushing its pay-to-win schlock. Will they never learn?
  6. penn919

penn919 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 151   +12

Whether you pay-to-play or pay-to-win, you still have to pay. The only difference is the model. There really is nothing to complain about. Nothing is free.
  7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Lol what?

Your expectations should be lower if there's no monetary investment on your part. This is not a AAA game, don't let the engine mislead you.

If you buy a $60 game such as CoD, and don't like it, you lost 60 bucks. That doesn't quite apply to a "free" game.

That's not the same as saying you can't say bad things about the game if there are any just because it's free, but I think it's not fair to the game to put it on the same level as other games with much larger funding. It just won't be the same experience, and the price tag often implies that.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.