Crytek taking applications for free-to-play military shooter Warface

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Crytek is now accepting beta applications for their upcoming free-to-play game called Warface, powered by CryENGINE 3. The program is being run through GFace, Crytek’s social networking service that’s still operating under a closed beta.

A description on the game’s website says the title will take players to a wide variety of breathtaking locations, placing gamers in some of the deadliest warzones on the planet. Innovative game design is said to deliver intuitive controls and fast-paced action where teamwork is essential for survival.

There are a number of different game play options including a frequently updated PVE universe with co-op missions that reward players for teamwork and individual skill. There’s also a full set of class-based PVP modes to cater to those with a competitive nature and a mode that pits “freeloaders” against those that have paid for in-game content. That alone sounds rather interesting if you ask me.

The game is said to rival what most players expect from a PC-based military shooter without setting you back $50-60 from the get-go. Cryteck CEO Cevat Yerli noted last year that their free-to-play titles would have the highest development quality with budgets ranging from $10 million to $30 million.

Optional paid content will no doubt be part of Warface but with any luck, it’ll be limited to things like outfits and other frivolous accessories that won’t impact the overall game play.

Those interested in signing up for the beta can do so now by visiting the official Warface website.

Permalink to story.

I played this at eurogamer last year in London, nothing that special at the time to be honest, beat CoD though on the entertainment factor!

Looks OK.

Hey, at least it is free to play; this game's graphics and animations are already at least 10 years ahead of CoD, which, last I checked, was $59.99 on Steam.

I guess, its crytek though, they used to be amazing, they created far cry and crysis, since the originals though they haven't produced a decent game, since this is a first for them, history dictates this should be pretty good!

Just because its free doesn't mean my expectations should be lower than a fully paid for game, the reason they make it free to play is because they reckon on average they make more money this way, games gotta be pretty damn special for people to actually buy in-game items.

SIGH..another "gaming network" with a grand total of ONE member company pushing its pay-to-win schlock. Will they never learn?

SIGH..another "gaming network" with a grand total of ONE member company pushing its pay-to-win schlock. Will they never learn?

Whether you pay-to-play or pay-to-win, you still have to pay. The only difference is the model. There really is nothing to complain about. Nothing is free.

I guess, its crytek though, they used to be amazing, they created far cry and crysis, since the originals though they haven't produced a decent game, since this is a first for them, history dictates this should be pretty good!

Just because its free doesn't mean my expectations should be lower than a fully paid for game, the reason they make it free to play is because they reckon on average they make more money this way, games gotta be pretty damn special for people to actually buy in-game items.

Lol what?

Your expectations should be lower if there's no monetary investment on your part. This is not a AAA game, don't let the engine mislead you.

If you buy a $60 game such as CoD, and don't like it, you lost 60 bucks. That doesn't quite apply to a "free" game.

That's not the same as saying you can't say bad things about the game if there are any just because it's free, but I think it's not fair to the game to put it on the same level as other games with much larger funding. It just won't be the same experience, and the price tag often implies that.

Back