CS:S Questions, want to get this fixed fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

1) I have a major fps problem. My stress test on source gives back an average of 31, but when I go to play, it gives me around 13-20, but when I look at a wall it goes up to 31..(of course). I have messed with ALL the settings possible, made an autoexec.cfg with a lot of commands that wouldn't work because it required sv_cheats 1, but never had it on. I set my resolution from 800X600 to 1280X960, nothing changed. I made sure AA and VA was off, then tried them on. They didn't change a thing either. My specs are in my signature.

I also have another problem that goes together with 1. Every couple/few seconds there is a skip like jump that gets me killed more often than not, Though this happens on EVERY game and movie, but not music. It drives me CRAZY!!

2) I have another problem. I have posted this in another topic, but I may as well throw this in. When I Installed CS:S from disk, I verified integrity of game cache from steam, and it took about 24 hrs on Dial up, but finally fully downloaded. It has got a whole lot of fragmentation in it. 3 files Source sounds.gcf, source materials.gcf, and counter-strke source shared.gcf are all fragmented. I have tried using the built in Windows Defragmenter and the Steam Defragmenter, but to no avail. I have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks!

Well, I fixed everything but number 2. I fixed one by getting caseys config, and then eliminating about 7 processes. Does ANYONE know how to fix no. 2?

caseys config? is this for the public? i get low fps in source as well, dont play it much since beta cause of it

For #2, does the drive with CS have sufficient free-space?

In order to defragment singular HUGE files, there has to be enough contiguous, free space in order to defragment the file. WOW has the same problem as it has a huge 4+gig file that needs another 6-7 gig of *contiguous* free space in order to defragment.

How much free space does the drive with CS:S have? Can you free up space, if only temporarily, to get defrag to move/defragment the files?

souton said:
caseys config? is this for the public? i get low fps in source as well, dont play it much since beta cause of it
Yes, its for public. Here, I'll even attach it for you.
Just take and rename it from .txt to .cfg and place in in this location (default location) My Computer>Local Disk>Program Files>Valve>Steam>SteamApps>(username/email)>Counter-Strike Source>cstrike>cfg

Once in, just run CS:S and it should run automatically, if not, I should be able to help you.

Sharkfood said:
For #2, does the drive with CS have sufficient free-space?

In order to defragment singular HUGE files, there has to be enough contiguous, free space in order to defragment the file. WOW has the same problem as it has a huge 4+gig file that needs another 6-7 gig of *contiguous* free space in order to defragment.

How much free space does the drive with CS:S have? Can you free up space, if only temporarily, to get defrag to move/defragment the files?
It has got exactly 15.8GB. Do you think that is enough, or should I empty some out just temporarily? I don't know what I will take off, but I'll try...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back