CS Source Freezes soon after start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just moved my PC into a new, bigger case. The only other change was the introduction of a new Linksys wireless router / Gateway (WAG45G) though the PC is connected via LAN cable.

Everything on PC works 100% EXCEPT CS & Half-Life 2 - they now freeze within minutes of starting. It wasn't happening before the case was changed.

A quick summary of my PC & investigation is :

1. Win XP Pro SP2, ATI Radeon X700 graphics card 128MB, 1GB RAM, AMD 64 3500+ CPU on Asus A8N-SLI motherboard. IT worked fine before :)

2. My firewall is built into the router and I use Avast antivirus software.

3. There's plenty of cooling in the case (CPU & MB at about 30 degrees before game starts)

4. I've "repaired" the XP installation - being desperate!

5. I've then uninstalled ATI drivers & downloaded & installed latest versions dated June 2005 & directX v9.0c is installed.

6. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Steam, CS and Half-Life 2.

Please can someone help - pretty please? I've tried everything that my limited knowledge allows and need a helping hand.

Thanks

Your best bet it to go look for troubleshooting on the Steam Support Page. If you don't find what you're looking for there, post on Steam's Forums. Also, right click steam in your system tray and hit monitor. If there are any games updating, let them finish to 100%, restart your computer and then try playing.

Thanks

Thanks for that advice - the first that I've had from anyone, anywhere!!

I'll do what you suggest and post a reply here whatever the outcome.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back