TechSpot

CS2 Free download

By JulieW
May 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I've just downloaded a "free" copy of Adobe CS2 from the Techspot site but the install is still asking for a serial number. I can't find that anyway in the downloaded folders. Any suggestions

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,116   +1,523

It is misleading in the sense that CS2 is not free. It is a free download for those who have previously own CS2. It is a version of which no longer uses the activation servers. From what I hear you must register with Adobe to get the activation key. The keys are only given to consumers who have previously owned CS2.

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,116   +1,523

Thanks HK, I should have checked myself. If I had I might have noticed this.
    But then if it is Freeware, why does it require a key? :confused:

5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

So if I remember CS2 was DRM protected, but Adobe was having a bunch of issues with their server, and decided to shut it down.
    They released a master key so that customers could still use CS2 even though the DRM server doesn't exist anymore.
    In their statement I think they implied that it's only for existing customers, but obviously they're giving up on enforcing CS2 licenses.

So I suppose they could release a freeware version, but then they'd have to release an update to all existing owners and keep some server space for the download, and I guess Adobe thought that that's more work, IDK really.

cliffordcooley likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.