CS2 Free download

I've just downloaded a "free" copy of Adobe CS2 from the Techspot site but the install is still asking for a serial number. I can't find that anyway in the downloaded folders. Any suggestions

It is misleading in the sense that CS2 is not free. It is a free download for those who have previously own CS2. It is a version of which no longer uses the activation servers. From what I hear you must register with Adobe to get the activation key. The keys are only given to consumers who have previously owned CS2.

So if I remember CS2 was DRM protected, but Adobe was having a bunch of issues with their server, and decided to shut it down.
They released a master key so that customers could still use CS2 even though the DRM server doesn't exist anymore.
In their statement I think they implied that it's only for existing customers, but obviously they're giving up on enforcing CS2 licenses.

So I suppose they could release a freeware version, but then they'd have to release an update to all existing owners and keep some server space for the download, and I guess Adobe thought that that's more work, IDK really.

Back