CTRL ALT DEL and Adjust Date/Time won't work

By RogerRampant
Dec 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently changed from XP Home to XP Professional and changed from Word 97 to Microsoft Office 2003, and I subsequently noticed that when I pressed CTRL ALT DEL the Task Manager no longer popped up, also I can't change Date/Time by clicking on the date, or by right clicking and selecting Adjust Date/Time

I installed and ran an enormous long list of programs (after rebooting in Safe Mode and disabling System Restore) including:
    Adaware + VX2 plugin
    AVG Anti-Spyware
    About Buster
    ATF Cleaner
    CWShredder
    HijackThis (in it's own folder)
    Look2Me-Destroyer
    Spybot S&D
    VirtumundoBeGone
    VundoFix
    Smitfraudfix
    Rdrivrem

Then I went through the HJT log and checked for a long list of things as listed in this thread and fixed about 6 items

I then looked for any of the folders listed in that thread, ready to delete them, but didn't have any of them. I deleted all files and folders from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp for all users, then cleared all caches and cookies. I then booted normally, enabled System Restore and did a full AV scan

CTRL ALT DEL still didn't bring up the task bar (except in Safe Mode), and I still couldn't change Date/Time (except in Safe Mode) :(

I then noticed a post further down in this thread which suggested that actually it's not a spyware problem, it's a problem related to the welcome screen that I was using to log on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281980

Changing to a more "traditional" method of logging on now indeed brings me up the screen with Task Manager as an option when I press CTRL ALT DEL, but when I then press the Task Manager button nothing happens (unless I'm in Safe Mode)

So now I've renamed HijackThis to HijackThis1991, run the AVG Anti-Spyware again, run HJT again and I'm attaching both logs

Any constructive advice would be gratefully received, thanks :)
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your HJT log is clean.

However, I see you`re running Kids PC Time Administrator. one of the options of that programme is to disable the task manager. Make sure, it`s not the programme that`s causing your problem. See HERE, screen shot 4.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of RogerRampant only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.
  3. RogerRampant

RogerRampant Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 25

What a star you are, and thanks again for such a quick response! :)

I was under the impression that I had told it to disable CTRL ALT DEL for my daughter only, and that's certainly what the prog says I have done, but when I uninstall it the problem with CTRL ALT DEL disappears, so that prog is definitely the cause of that particular problem

I also told it not to let my daughter change system time, but when I look in the tab for me it shows that I am not allowed to change system time either, and unchecking that box gives me back my access to Change Time/Date as usual

Guess I will need to find another program to restrict my daughter's internet access with - thanks again for the help! :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.