Ctrl-alt-delete not working and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
my crtl-alt-delete buttons will not bring up my task manager. i have invisible icons on my system tray. my computer will not download windows updates and my spyware and virus removal programs are finding trojans and viruses everytime i run them. my system is running very slowly.

pretty sure my system is badly infected but can't figure out how to get rid of these things for good.

thanks in advance for any help

Please describe your system: Memory, OS, hdd, cpu, etc. You have a fairly large number or minor threats and registry meddlers...
This might be a time to consider changing from McAfee... When does your current McAfee expire.

Ok, I apologize for this because I used to be more adept with computers but isn't there a command or something you can type in to get all that info?

This is a new system and the only things I know for sure are that we're running with Windows XP, the sticker on my tower says pentium 4 and the hard drive is going to die pretty soon (lots of noise and my icons are disappearing at a pretty fast rate). One of the reasons I'm trying to get this cleaned asap is so I can copy the drive over to my new 400gb hard drive (yay!).

Any suggestions for the other info you need?

Well, you're going to have to reinstall Windows anyway, why not just throw the new drive in and start from there. You can't simply copy and paste any installed programs or the OS to a new drive.

But, before you do that, scan the actual data files (jpeg, mp3, movies, .wmv and the like, with the scanners suggested at the top of the page, burn to DVD. then reinstall your software to the new drive fresh.

Any malware is much more likely to be residing in system and programs than in data anyway. Besides, how do you make the distinction between loss or aberrations caused by a bad drive or infestation?

BTW, it seems to be a case of unrealistic expectations to apply the term "new" to anything with a P4 sticker on the case. Could we downgrade this assessment to "another" computer. Now don't be cross, I love my P4 machine, but it is 4 1/2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back