Cuphead, the retro cartoon platformer, gets delayed to mid-2017

midian182

Staff member

For those who don’t know, Cuphead is a highly-anticipated upcoming platformer that’s designed to look like a cartoon from the 1930s and ‘40s; think Steamboat Willie, only in color. It was due to be released before the end of the year, but it’s now been delayed until mid-2017.

In a blog post on its website, developer Studio MDHR wrote: “we wanted to finish our game 80 years after 1936 but it will now be 81.”

“Throughout this year we discussed reducing the scope to make a 2016 release, but we made the difficult decision to delay the launch in order to ship with our vision intact.”

The news marks the fourth time that Cuphead’s release date has been changed. After it was first unveiled back in January 2014, the developers said they had a “late 2014” launch in mind. But at E3 later that year the game was pushed back to 2015.

2015 arrived, and Cuphead was pushed back again. This time, the developers said the delay was to make “the best game possible.” But the release date was put forward another year, again, once 2015 arrived.

Earlier this year, it was announced that Cuphead's gameplay had expanded to include platforming, so it was no longer just a run-and-gun, boss rush title.

There has been a slew of game delays announced in the last few months. South Park: The Fractured But Whole is now arriving in 2017; Star Citizen’s single player campaign, Squadron 42, has been delayed indefinitely; and Final Fantasy XV was pushed from September 30 to November 29.

With several recent high-profile games turning out to be disappointments, such as No Man’s Sky, Mighty No. 9, and Mafia 3, many developers believe it’s worth delaying a product to add that extra bit of polish, even if it does annoy fans. It certainly worked for The Witcher 3, though it didn’t seem to help No Man’s Sky, admittedly.

Permalink to story.

Not surprised.

Tangentially, was anyone surprised by Star Citizen/Squadron 42 delay? No? As badly as I want the game to be real, to launch, and to live up to even a fraction a fraction of the hype, I'm pretty sure it is now vaporware. I don't think it started out that way, but feature creep killed it.

If Squadron 42 is ever released, I'll buy it. If its good, I'll join in with the crowd funding campaign. But something tells me to my wallet is going to stay closed for this game.

Cuphead is a highly-anticipated upcoming platformer
what's a 'platformer'?

Sounds like scope creep to me... remember Duke Nukem Forever - aka DNF - (appropriately also the acronym used in races for Did Not Finish.) They kept wanting to make the 'Best Game Ever' until they changed it over and over again and ran out of money - all they ended up with was the 'most expensive failure ever.'

I think some of these designers need to understand that having a cool idea for a video game is not the same thing as building a cool video game.

One of the kind of games where you should watch as little as possible of it before playing. It looks amazing the first few times but like your favorite movie you can't watch it over and over when you know whats coming.

The art is really cool especially how everythign is hand drawn. Been watching some old cartoons lately that are also made like this and they are so lovely and just so much... better in a way than those with 3D effects and 3D backgrounds.

Like the Hell Nightmare scene in All Dogs Go To Heaven. I can not possibly imagine how 3D is supposed to make that look better. Its the same with the first Fantasia and so many others.

Many Anime are getting a reboot like Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon. While technically superior the new effects and 3D rotation looks so alien and makes it look far less likable. Maybe the uncanny valley effect is also affecting me. I get a similar thing in Forza Horizon 3. The game looks so good that all the things that don't look absolutely amazing really piss me off. Like how the grass is made of sprites or the 2D water splash effect or the smoke and sand going through the cars.

Back