TechSpot

Custom built not booting

By puppyavenger
Nov 14, 2008
  1. Hi all. This is my first attempt at a custom built and it's not going so well. Here are my products:

-----

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

Mobo: Foxconn A7VMX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD

PS: Allied 500w 20-pin (mobo is 24 but claims my old 20 will work)

RAM: DDR2 1GB 5400 XMS CORSAIR

Hard drive: My old Dell 4400 hard drive

-----

When I turn the power on, the case fans work, the CPU fan works, the USB mouse has power, the non-USB keyboard doesn't work, the DVD drive doesn't eject, and I don't get anything on the monitor. It's as if the lights are on but no one is home.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. seanc

seanc TS Rookie Posts: 88

Take the RAM out, do you get any beeps?

3. puppyavenger

puppyavenger TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry. Forgot to mention that. There are no beeps with any ram combination; 1, 2, or 0.

I've read the guide that is often referenced and tried steps 1-10 with the same results every time.

4. seanc

Have you got the extra four pin connector plugged in at the top of the board? It has yellow & black cables with a square shaped connector.

5. puppyavenger

Yes. It's plugged in.

6. seanc

Have you tried bench testing the board? This involves running it outside of the case on a non-conductive surface such as cardboard.

7. puppyavenger

Not yet. I tried to and I had trouble making the appropriate cables reach from inside the case but I just learned I can jump the front power switch with another piece of metal so I'll try that.

8. puppyavenger

I got it fixed. The CPU was seated incorrectly. I'm glad it was something simple. -_-

Thanks for all your input. =)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.