Cyanogen partners with Qualcomm, introduces fresh new look at Mobile World Congress

Shawn Knight

Staff member

cyanogen qualcomm android partnership branding

Cyanogen, the company behind the Android-based open source mobile OS, is having quite a productive showing at this year’s Mobile World Congress thanks largely in part to a new collaboration with chip maker Qualcomm.

The partnership will see Cynaogen provide its mobile OS for the upcoming Qualcomm Reference Design (QRD) that’ll be used with Qualcomm 200, 400 and 600 series processors. QRD devices are basically templates that smaller smartphone makers often use to expedite the process of getting their handsets to market.

Up to this point, Cyanogen has only come preinstalled on three devices – the OnePlus One, the Oppo N1 and the Micromax Yureka. The deal should see that number increase in the coming months although don’t expect it to arrive on your next high-end handset anytime soon.

cyanogen qualcomm android partnership branding

One of the first devices to arrive in the US under the partnership will be the Alcatel Hero 2+. Compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile networks, it’ll be sold online without a contract for $299.

Cyanogen is also sprucing itself up with a new look that the company hopes will capture its commitment to openness. They’ve also refreshed their website to reflect the new logo. Visitors will find increased whitespace, a vibrant color scheme and typography that has been updated for readability.

All of this is part of a larger effort to shed its modder roots and transition into a legitimate OS that anyone will feel comfortable with.

Permalink to story.

I loved CM until last week. Every single app worked flawlessly until the one most important one didn't, the phone app. I had to reboot so I could receive calls. I never knew when I missed a call either. I read about an issue with some Google Play apps causing problems but that's not my concern, I just want it to work.

So I'm taking a break from CM and I'm back to KitKat 4.4.4 until CM12 is stable. Or another mod happens along...

I loved CM until last week. Every single app worked flawlessly until the one most important one didn't, the phone app. I had to reboot so I could receive calls. I never knew when I missed a call either. I read about an issue with some Google Play apps causing problems but that's not my concern, I just want it to work.

So I'm taking a break from CM and I'm back to KitKat 4.4.4 until CM12 is stable. Or another mod happens along...

do you have an HTC One M7? That exact thing happened to me a couple months ago. You could fix it by disabling Google Play Services (I think that's the right one....may want to google that). It made the phone throw lots of popup errors, but everything seemed to work fine. After a couple weeks T-mo put out an OTA fix and all was normal again.

Back