TechSpot

Cyanogen raises $7 million to help transform custom Android firmware into a top 3 mobile OS

By David Tom
Sep 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. In the realm of smartphone OSes, it’s essentially a two horse race between Android and iOS, with Blackberry and Microsoft fighting for the third spot. Although it’s unlikely that either Google or Apple will be ousted anytime soon, there’s another...

Read more

2. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 658   +174

Can you imagine them making an installer that will let you convert a iphone to this?!

That would be a epic kick to apple's nuts and of course apple will sue them haha.

3. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

With BlackBerry forced to lay off 40% of the company and possibly get sold off by the end of the year coupled with consistent news that Windows Phone's market share is growing, I really don't think it's a fight between MS and BlackBerry anymore. That said, maybe Cyanogen can give MS a run for their money.

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Cool, but I had no idea it was so hard to install. I thought it was just a mod you flashed to your rooted device. Maybe that's what they mean though....

5. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Evangelist Posts: 334   +101

1 click.. sigh.. the install right now for Cy' makes homebrewing your V4.3 Wii look like a drag and drop process..

6. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 159   +12

It is just a mod you flash on your phone. its the prepping you have to do before is what can be difficult. And thats because of phone makers and carriers lock down their phones.

St1ckM4n likes this.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Impressive.

8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

1. Unlock bootloader. If locked bootloader, add another 5 steps here.
    2. Wipe device.
    4. Flash the files.
    5. Final configs.
    6. Start device, as if it was out of the box.

It's decently annoying. Also people scared of tech run away from it. Not sure how a 1-click installer will be possible with locked bootloaders...

9. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 845   +335

How does it takes 1 hour to install it? I flashed (installed) tons of custom android ROMs on different phones and it takes about 10 minutes for me. I just reboot into recovery and wipe data/cache/dalvik and then flash the ROM which takes about 5 minutes to complete, then reboot and from there I only need to install apps and I'm ready to go.

You don't need to be rooted to do that.

10. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

Scripts, the person who made the rooter for my phone made an automated script so all I do is run it in a VM and let it go. It will be annoying making a custom one for each phone but I guess it is possible. As for Nobina, it can take an hour if coming from a clean factory that is completely locked up, if you are already unlocked and rooted then it is much faster.