CyberPower PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is the right place to put this thread. I can't figure out where this should go...

Anyhow, I'm thinking of purchasing a custom-built PC from CyberPower PC. Has anyone here dealt with them? Before purchasing from them, I want to make sure they're a worthwhile company.

I can't find many ratings for them, but the few I have found I've seen good and bad. So I'm not really sure what to think about them. One thing I read a lot about was that their customer service isn't very good. Though I Emailed them a question and I recieved a reply within the hour... Of course, that was through Email...

The PC I'm thinking of buying is this, and it comes to roughly $2,800...

Case: Hot !!! Apevia X-Telstar Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case w/ Temp Display and Fan Control
Extra: Extra case fan (1 x fan)
Power Supply: Thermaltake W0133RU ToughPower 1,200 Watts Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
CPU:
(Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6850 CPU @ 3.00GHz 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache 64-bit
Cooling Fan: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System, Superior Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA
Motherboard: (Quad-Core FSB1333) MSI P35 Neo2-FR Intel P35 CrossFire Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB 16X PCI Express
Hard Drive: 150GB Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD[+0]
(Or possibly) 300GB (150GBx2) Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD[+0]
Data Harddrives: None
USB Portable Drive: USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive (1 GIG)
Optical Drive: 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
Sound: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
Network: Killer K1 10/100/1000 Gigabit High Speed Online Gaming PCI Network Interface Card
Modem: None
Wireless Network Card: LINKSYS WMP54GS 802.11G PCI Network Card
Wirless Access Point: None
USB Port: Add External USB 2.0 Hub (4x USB 2.0 Ports) Floppy: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2

I've also been told that $2,800 is too much for this system, and I'd be able to find it cheaper. I don't know much about that, though...

Personally I did buy from them. And i Regret every minute of it. My case came damaged, wouldn't boot and took them another month to get it back to me (with new scratches and the same parts (i wrote down the serial numbers)). Last PC I bought from a manufacturer.

And yes, tech support licks fuzzy ones, unless your fluent in Indian. I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to get them to service my computer!!

As far as components:
That computer, brand new from NewEgg, would cost ya about $2200

There are some pretty major components in there that i dont know ya need.
The Geforce 8600 - At least get the 8800, more stable and much better in general.

1200W PSU, Quad SLI and 1 Video card - Uber overkill - at least get 2 cards so you can run SLI, and if you really think you need 4 video cards for anything, you wouldn't be looking at a retail store to sell it to ya..you'd be custom building.

The intel is nice yes, but you can save $100 and get a 2.5GHz and not notice. (unless you plan on running Unreal 3, Doom, Oblivion, Warcraft, and Halo at the same time)

Whatever you do....DO NOT USE CYBERPOWER!!! They got shinny adds but you dont want the headache

Mm, thanks. From what you've said, and what I've heard from others, I think I'll avoid this company.
It sounds like I can build it cheaper myself anyway. As luck would have it I know someone who'd probably be willing to put it together for me. :)

As for those parts, yeah, I don't know much about hardware. Though I've been having some help refining the list and figuring out really what I need and don't need.

good choice.

Post a new thread with the specs your looking at. The folks around here are pretty good about weeding out unnecessary stuff and getting you a solid system.

Yeah, way to much money!

The PSU is overkill, a 700 Watt OCZ Gamestream would be great. Depending on what games you want to play the 8800GTS 320 would be much better and the 6850 might also be overkill. A 6600 would save you some bucks and be nearly as fast.

Only go with water cooling if you plan to overclock, otherwise air cooling is just fine. Windows will not recognize 4GB of ram unless you run the 64bit version. 2GB should be sufficient for almost any need.

Using feedback I've recieved from various places I've refined my list a bit. Though I'm unsure if I should continue to post it in this thread, or create a new one about refining the list more...

But here's the list so far anyway...

Power Supply: 600 Watts Power Supply
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6750 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache 64-bit (either that or (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6850 CPU @ 3.00GHz 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache 64-bit)
Cooling Fan: Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof)
Motherboard: Not sure yet...
Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express
Harddrive: 300GB (150GBx2) Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD[+0]
Optical Drive: 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
Sound: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
Network: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
Wireless: LINKSYS WMP54GS 802.11G PCI Network Card
Floppy: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2

That's just something I put together using the system builder thing on CyberPower PC. I don't think I'm going to buy from them, I just used the builder so I can get a basic idea of the parts.

Though the motherboard is something I'm not sure about. I keep hearing conflicting reports about it... Some say I should get a quad-core, others say I should steer clear. So I'm not sure on that one yet.

By the way, what is the most RAM Windows XP will recognize?

I dont know about how much XP will recognize, but most good MB top out at 8GB, you should be just fine with 2GB though.

As far as MB's go, i like asus, Solid Builds and lots of supported peripherals. MSI is failry good as well however their chipset fans have issues,($10) to get a new, good, one; or you can have MSI send ya one every couple of months.

When your looking and stuff, dont forget the case. Ive seen it happen and its a bad night when you realize you dont have a box for your new shinney toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back