Cyclic Redundency Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genome852

So I've been getting CRC errors everytime I try to install something from a CD... the CDs and DVDs aren't the problem since they all worked before. Sometimes, when extracting huge files from my recovery partition onto my main one with winrar, I often get 'corrupted files' error and have to try multiple times before it finally works...

Anyways

I thought it might be the RAM, but I ran memtest 86 and memtest 86+ with both sticks in at once, and both of them in seperately for over 10 hours each. No errors.

I have a 160GB WesternDigital Harddrive, and I thought it might have some bad blocks.. so I ran dlgdiag.exe from CD and it showed no errors even with extensive search.

So now I just think that it's the DVDrom failing on me... it's not the cables either since I tried swapping the IDE cable with another one already (master - dvdrom, slave - harddrive). I think it's possible since I've had it and the Hard disk for a while now.

So I think I've isolated the problem, (i have no other DVDroms in the house to test.. the other computers are HP / Dell) but is it possible that the motherboard is also at fault here? I've read that borked motherboard controllers can screw random things up.. maybe a defective CPU can cause it too (probably not though)? what do you guys think?

Specs
C2D e6600
2gb ddr667
8800GTS
160gb WD HDD

CRC errors indicate:
a) the file is corrupt or has been modified
b) the data was not read reliably from the media.

IF ALL CDs cause this problem, then it's your CDROM or DVD device.
It's also possible that you tweeked something (eg: bios settings) and I/O
is just unreliable.

I see.. time for a new dvd drive.

And I guess getting corrupted files with winrar is a software problem then.

hard to say which is the cause vs. the effect.

first get a copy of MEMTEST and verify your memory is good,
then get a copy of your drive mfg testing tools -- test the drive for integrity

Boot info Safe Mode and run CHKDSK /F and then SFC /SCANNOW

now you can make a judgement re fix or replace

Check your Event Viewer, it should be able to tell you what file caused the CRC, and hence the location of the file (HD or CD/DVD).

As for WinRAR, I have encountered some files that I thought were corrupt, but it just turned out my version of WinRAR was a bit dated, I got a newer version and the corruption vanished, so I'd look into that too.

Product: Command & Conquer 3 -- Error 1335.The cabinet file 'Core.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

I have these kinds of problems with all the stuff i try to install. I got a new dvd drive and the problem is still there... like I said earlier, dlgdiag finds no errors and neither does memtest86 or 86+... so any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back