D:/ drive doesn't appear in explorer, but device manager says it is working fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a mac person trying to figure out a windows problem. that said: the issue I'm having is that the d:/ (CD/DVD) drive won't appear in the explorer and when I try to run the d drive, i get an error message stating that the D:\ drive is unavailable. when I run the device manager, though, it states that the drive is working properly. thoughts?

try remounting drive in compmgmt.msc >disk managment with another drive letter ,i guess that solves the problem

few things:

-remount, as suggested above..
-reboot your PC, if not already tried..
-reinstall the drivers in Device manager
->right click >remove device
->reboot PC, let it reinstall the drivers automatically
-see if there's any programs that are using the drive currently, like burning software etc.
-check that your actual dvd drive is actually working! eject the tray, try a known reliable data CD, cables connected ok, lights, etc.

tod4man said:
I am a mac person trying to figure out a windows problem. that said: the issue I'm having is that the d:/ (CD/DVD) drive won't appear in the explorer and when I try to run the d drive, i get an error message stating that the D:\ drive is unavailable. when I run the device manager, though, it states that the drive is working properly. thoughts?
make sure there's media in the device :)

"try remounting drive in compmgmt.msc >disk managment with another drive letter ,i guess that solves the problem"

The D: drive doesn't appear in the "disk management" section. only the C drive.

as it seems windows has not recognized your drive because not in explorer nor in address bar it's not available
to make sure u have the drive try running your pc in partition magic and check if partition magic recognizes your drive

tod4man said:
"try remounting drive in compmgmt.msc >disk managment with another drive letter ,i guess that solves the problem"

The D: drive doesn't appear in the "disk management" section. only the C drive.
if you don't see something like "DVD-Rom" or "CD-Rom" listed like so: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/N3051M/diskman.jpg

that means that windows isn't picking up the drive. There are a couple of things you can try to resolve this with.

Do the reinstall i've suggested in my previous post.
Check the drive reading in Safe mode (boot the PC and keep pressing F8 before the windows splash screen shows up, select safe mode)
go to BIOS/SETUP and check that its getting picked up there. If not picking up, check the data and power cable to the drive (replace the IDE cable for a new one for testing, just incase its a dud cable you have)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back